4

"Can you help me with the homework tonight?" Melissa asked, her blue eyes frantically overlooking the page of math problems our teacher gave us.

"Don't I always?" I tease, watching her look up and roll her eyes.

"I don't understand why he gives us homework! What's the purpose of it?" She complains.

"Why don't you ask him that?"

"No."

"Then, shut up."

"Okay." She whines.

We both start walking to our last period of the day, soccer.

"Ugh!!" She groans out loud.

"What is it now?" I groan back.

"I don't want to walk!" She whines again.

"Melissa, it's just across the street!"

"And it's so far!"

I loudly sigh in frustration until someone calls my name.

"Danielle." His deep voice causes my head to snap in his direction.

There's a smug grin on his face as he leans towards the rolled down window of the passenger side.

"Need a ride?" He asks as he slowly scoots forward in the long line of cars waiting to get out of the parking lot. His speed matching ours as we walk.

"We're fine, it's only across the street." I smile, silently thanking him anyway.

"Come on, I insist."

"You're literally driving as slow as we're walking. At this rate, we should get to the field before you even reach the stop sign." I laugh.

"Maybe, But the odds aren't that high." He smirks.

"If you drive us across the street, you'll waste your time. You can't be late to practice."

"I don't care, they can wait." My heart flutters in my chest. "I'm always the first one there anyway."

"No, Blake! We're almost there anyways. But, thank you. I'll talk to you later." And with that, Melissa and I walk across the street, proving my guessing correct.

His car still sits in the line of cars, slowly getting closer to the small intersection. I smile to myself and continue to walk to the locker rooms.

"You should've said yes!" Melissa gripes and I let out a long aggravated sigh.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The cold water cascades down on me. All the dirt and sweat washing off my body. All of the soapy liquid swirling down the drain.

After I manage to wash everything and feel clean, I turn off the shower and grab my towel to dry off.

I slowly get dressed, tugging on my sports bra and baggy t-shirt.

Once I open the bathroom door, I'm hit with an immediate wave of intense cold air, making me shiver. I run to my bed and jump into the warm covers. A sigh of content leave my lips as my whole body starts to warm up.

My phone chimes and I quickly pick it up.

Blake.

I decide to wait for a few minutes before opening it, I don't want to seem desperate. Then I open the text and my face breaks into a stupid smile.

Blake 😍😘❤️❤️❤️💕💖💘
> Hey

Me:
> Hi

Blake...
> What are you doing?

Me:
> Homework, you?

Blake...
> About to go home from practice.

I looked at the time and realized it's already 5:30. They practice for more than an hour?

Me:
> You must be tired

I couldn't imagine myself after a little over two hours of practice and still have to drive myself home.

Blake...
> Yeah, but I can manage.

Somehow, I can image him smirking down at his phone, a certain glint in his eyes. This thought sent a smile to my face, wishing I could see his grin.

I don't know why I'm acting like this. I just met him today and I'm already acting like a love sick puppy.

Me:
>I bet you can.

At this point, my confidence level was shooting through the roof. My fingers taking control and typing away words that I never would have had the guts to say.

Am I flirting?

Who knows actually.

Blake...
>Oh, yeah?
You think so?

Now, I know he has a full blown smile from this. He's enjoying teasing me.

Me:
> Yeah, I mean, you are in football.

Blake...
> And why does that matter?

Me:
> Because, football people are big and strong. So, surely you can manage yourself.

Blake...
> Oh.

Was all he said. Did I hit some nerve or something. Now I feel bad. Dang it!
I ruined an actual chance of being close to a guy. A good looking one at that.

Before I lost all hope in my love life again, my phone chimed.

Blake...
> You sure do know the right things to say. ;)

My heart fluttered at his words. He wasn't mad at me. Well, not that I know of yet.

Me:
> I seem to never say the right things either.

I laid back and rested my head on my pillows, the soft clouds causing me to close my eyes.

It was entirely true. I never said the right things. I always ended up saying something stupid and people looked at me weird and never carried on the conversation. That's why people weren't really fond of me. I was awkward. Well, I still am awkward. And it astonishes me how Blake is still managing to stick with me. It hasn't even been 24 hours yet. So, I'll give him a little more time to realize what a drag I really am.

I sigh out as the cold air of my room fans my skin. My body relaxing into the warmth of my bed from the millions of blankets matted to it. The sky is dark out, the days being shorter due to the cold weather. I could see the faint color of the grey skies behind my thin window curtain. The smell of my mom's cooking emitting from the kitchen.

I think back to lunch, how everyone was enjoying the presence of their friends. Some even looked at me, still not caring if I was alone and lonely in the cold. They didn't care.
Sure, I have my friends. But, they have many others who rank higher on the social radar. They both say that they don't care about social status, but deep down, I know they see their best friend as a loser. Because, that's what everyone else sees.

I couldn't help the next sigh that escaped my lips. The strangled sound wavering in the air as some tears threatened to fall out of my eyes.

And then a certain painful thought came to my mind before darkness consumed me.

Blake will see me like everyone else...

And that scared me.