39

"Hey!"
That voice, his deep voice, gives me chills even through the phone.

"Hey" I laugh, picturing his cute pearly white smile in my mind.

"What are you doing right now?"

"Homework, you?" I reply as I morbidly look around at all of my papers and books sprawled across my bed.

A silent pause follows my question.

"Uh...nothing." His voice changes an octave in each word.

"Mhm, sure." I laugh, knowing well enough that he's lying.

He always hesitates and speaks high pitched when he lies.

"What are you hiding from me?" I ask.

"What? N-Nothing!"

"Blake, I do know when you're lying bud. You're not a very good liar." I bring my knees up to my chest and lean back into my pillows.

"I am too! But that's besides the point. I'm coming to pick you up in an hour."

"Wait...What? Why?"

I mean, I'm not complaining.

"All you need to worry about is dressing comfortable."

"Okay...and I can't ask why?"

"Nope. Oh! And bring a blanket."

Before I could protest any further, he hangs up the phone, leaving me confused.

"Okay." I say to myself. "No goodbye I guess"

Since he said an hour, I decide that it's probably a good idea to take a shower. So after grabbing everything I need, I jump in and enjoy as the warm water flows through my hair.

Like he said, I make sure to dress comfortable. Warm sweats and a T-shirt complimented by fuzzy socks and a messy braid.

A knock comes from the front door. Nobody else is home, so I answer it. Blake stands before me, a cute smile on his face as he holds a beautiful red rose out towards me and one of his hoodies in the other arm. His white hoodie contrasting with his black sweats and caramel skin.

"Hey." The dimple in his right cheek comes into view as he smiles sweetly.

"Hey." I say breathlessly.

"You look adorable, I love it."

I feel my heart flutter, the butterflies coming back just like the first time.

I look down at myself, remembering the baggy sweats and fuzzy socks.

"Thank you."

"Shall we?" He hands me the rose and by instinct, I raise it to my nose to smell it. He lifts up his arm for me to take it and I gladly accept it along with the hoodie.

He opens the door, walking me outside and I find myself looking towards the driveway.
His sleek black car isn't there, instead, a red truck is parked in the space.

"Where's your car?"

"I traded with my dad for the night." He says as he walks to open the door for me.

"Why?" I step up into the truck and sit in the deep leather passenger seat.

"You'll see." He sends me a mischievous smirk, confusing me even more than I was before.

He closes my door and gets in on the driver's side and starts the engine. The trucks comes to a rumbling start, faintly vibrating as the engine roars in life.

The cool air outside fogs the windows as the heater kicks on, the radio softly singing in tune as we drive off down the street.

I turn to look at him, still not believing that this boy, Blake Daniels, likes me. I can't seem to fathom the idea of any guy like him ever even giving me so much as a second glance.

But I don't need to think about that anymore. He chose me. Me and not anyone else, I was the one who he wanted, I was the one who he thought he needed in his life. And little did I know how much I really needed him in my life.

He makes everything better.

Without thinking, a smile forms on my face as I stare at him, as I take in all his perfect features, as I take in this perfect view of this boy who I might love.

"What?"

His soothing voice and soft laugh breaks me from the trance and I see a smile tug at his lips.

I sit back in my seat, my face hot and a smirk on my face.

"Nothing."

We drive for a while longer, the long bare road stretching for miles ahead of us as the evening sky turns different shades of blues and oranges. The clouds spotting the sky as they perfectly cover the sun to create a comforting shade over acres of dry land.

The radio still sings softly in the background as I watch the small grass hills roll by through the window, Blake's fingers tapping the steering wheel to the beat of the song.

He reaches over to turn up the volume on the stereo as One Direction's song On thing comes on. Grabbing my hand, he turns towards me and smiles.

"This song makes me think of you"

I laugh as he starts to sing along to the words of the song in perfect unison, my heart fluttering like crazy just by the way he looks at me while he sings. Our fingers laced together. Chills run up and down my body from his touch.

We both start to sing together and laugh as a building starts to come into sight in the distance. Multiple flat white sheets stand vertically in various spots from what I can see, but as we get closer, everything appears more familiar.

It's a drive-in theatre.

A gasp comes from my mouth as I lean forward in excitement, my heart happy.

Blake looks at me and from the corner of my eye, I see him smile, a soft sweet smile.
"Is this the surprise?" I ask as I smile uncontrollably.

"Yeah, is it okay? Do you like it?" He asks, uncertainty in his tone.

"Yes! Of course it's okay! I love this so much!"
He just smiles at me as he puts the truck in park. His eyes sparkle as they look into mine, my heart flutters.

This is everything that I could ever asked for. Him and I, together. The thought makes me happier as we still stare at each other.
He leans in, placing a soft kiss on my lips, butterflies swarming in my stomach.
He leans his head against mine, both our eyes closed, enjoying this intimate moment.

He kisses me one more time and softly says three short words that make me melt. The three words that I always wished someone would have said to me. The three words that remind me that this is reality. After everything that's happened, this is my life now, and I couldn't have wanted it any other way.
"I love you."

* THE END*