9

"Let's give it up for our Bulldogs!!!"

The crowd goes wild, screams and horns going off every where.

Blair cheers with them as Kyla and I stand silent. Blake's jacket now disregarded in my hand.

We get dismissed back to class, walking out of the gym and into the misty air. My hands clutching my arms to get any more warmth.

"Hey." Someone grabs my arm, like this morning. Tingles shooting through where they touched.

I turn around and meet Blake's eyes. Confusion and worry in them.

"Why did you take it off?" He nods to the jacket in my hand.

"I wasn't cold anymore." I shrug, half lying.

It wasn't that I didn't need it because I was warm, entirely. It was because of what I saw. And realized I'm in no position to wear it.

"I wanted you to wear it for the game tonight." He puts his hands in his pockets.

"I don't know if I'm going-"

"You have to go. We had a deal, remember?"

"Yeah, But-"

"Just go, okay? I promise it'll be fun. And I know you're cold, you don't hide things very well." He puts his hand on my arm and lightly squeezes. His face barely smiling. He walks away, leaving me to my contradicting thoughts.

          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Mom, it's just a few hours. That's all. And I have money to pay for my ticket."

"Who's going to take you? I don't feel well enough to drive."

"I'll walk, it's not that far."

"You're not walking this late at night."

"Fine, I'll drive then." I cross my arms over my chest.

"You can't even drive."

"Yes, I can. And I'm going to."

"Danny-"

"I love you, I'll be back later tonight." I grab the keys to my Mom's van and walk out of the door, no further protests from her.

I get in the vehicle, turning it on and driving towards the town's stadium.

I decided to go early, knowing there would be too many cars on the road and less parking if I didn't. I called Blair and Kyla, both of them together and promising to make an arrival soon.

In the mean time, I'm sitting alone in the empty bleachers. The boys still practicing for their game tonight. All of them wearing helmets and big shoulder pads. One stands out the most, staring at me from the field.

I feel a slight flutter in my chest, some unknown feeling bubbling up inside me. I ignore it, averting my eyes to somewhere else.

More people slowly fill in the empty spaces on the bleachers. I still wait for my friends as I mess with the hem of Blake's hoodie. A subconscious smile growing on my face.

"Danny!"

I snap my head up, my gaze falling on my two friends walking towards me. I place a smile on my face as the both of them make their way to me. Blair bouncing with every step and Kyla dragging her feet.

"Hey girl." Blair greets, eyeing the jacket before turning her attention back to me.

"Hey."

"How'd you get here?" Kyla asks.