11

I hop out of my Mom's car and walk up the front steps of the school as she drives off.
A few people stand on the school yard and talking with their friends. I continue to walk on the straight sidewalk towards the front doors.

"Danny!" I see Kyla skipping towards me, singing out my name as her blonde hair swings everywhere.

"Hey...Ky." I furrow my brows at her peculiar behavior.

Why is she so happy?

She runs the rest of the way up to me, engulfing me in a big hug.

"What's-"

"Marcus asked me to the movies this Friday!" She almost screams, her body jumping up and down as she still hugs me.

I wrap my arms around her, jumping along.

"Oh my gosh, Ky! That's so great!" I smile as we break apart.

"Thanks. I really like him." She looks down, a sweet smile on her face as her cheeks blush a deep shade of red.

"I'm happy for you."

Man, it's been less than a week and she likes him. That's something amazing. It takes her awhile to actually like someone.

Me and Blake did a good job.

"So...what about you and Blake?" She wiggles her eyebrows, laughing when I roll my eyes.

"Nothing is going on between us." I give her a sad smile before averting my eyes.

"Well...Blair is leaving during fourth period."

"Why?"

"Tennis tournament." She shrugs.

"Oh."

"Ky-yla!"

Marcus casually walks up to us, smiling a wide smile at Ky. She returns his smile as he nears closer.

"Hey."

He stands next to her, his eyes squinting from the huge grin.

"Wassap, Danny." Marcus grins at me, putting his hand in the air signaling for us to do the handshake he taught me.

"Hi, Marcus." I laugh, connecting my hand with his as we commence in the handshake.

Blake walks towards us, his head down. Once he is closer, he stops next to Marcus, not even sparing a glance at me.

"Wassap, bro!" Marcus raises his hand at Blake but he nods it off.

"Blake, what's-"

He lifts his head, looking at me and my eyes widen.

A huge purple bruise covers his left cheek, right under his eye. A small red cut on his bottom lip.

"Holy crap! Blake, what happened?" I rush over to him, lightly grabbing his chin.

I turn his cheek towards me to inspect it, softly running my fingers along the purple skin. He slightly flinches. His eyes meet mine, mine being full of worry.

"I'm fine." He mumbles, jerking his head from my hold.

"Well, it doesn't look like you are." I step closer.

"Well, I am, Alright?" He steps back, running his hand through his hair in frustration.
"I'll see you later."

He turns away, keeping his head low and walking inside through the front doors.

"What in the hell happened?" Marcus moves next to me, both of us staring after him.

"I don't know, but I'm going to find out."