5

My phone's blaring ringtone made me shoot up in panic.
The damned sound jerked me awake. So much that when I quickly rose, the edge of my bed slipped from under me, sending me to the floor with a loud thump. Wrapped in thick blankets at my ankles.

I wiped the drool from my mouth and shoved my glasses on my face. Picking up the noise maker, I squinted at the bright screen.

Blake.

The sight of his name put butterflies in my stomach, my heart beating against my ribs like a sneer drum.

I answered the call.

"Blake?" My groggy voice asked, even though I knew who was on the other end.

"Hey, sorry. I didn't know you were asleep." He apologizes.

"Neither did I."

His deep melodic laugh fills the phone, a smile itching its way to my lips.

"I wonder how that happened." He laughs again, but the smile quickly fades from my face.

All of my pitiful thoughts storming back into my mind.

I shake my head, bidding them to take their leave.

"So, why'd you call." I stretch my limbs, a small squeak leaving my mouth.

I face palm as soon as I hear him laugh at me from the other side of the phone, mumbling something incoherent under his breath.

"I don't know actually. I saw that you didn't see my text and I had this urge to call you." He openly admitted.
Before adding...
"Now that I think of it, it sounds pretty stupid." He forces out a laugh.

"No, not stupid at all." I assure him, a smile reaching my eyes as I mean the words I say.
"It's actually pretty cute."

I slap my hand over my mouth before I could say anything else stupid.

It's silent on the other end of the line. My heart drops as I imagine his smile drop, confused debating if he should end the call or not.

My fears eat at me as I mentally slap myself a hundred times.

It hasn't even been 24 hours and I'm already losing him.

My teeth chew on my lip, almost hard enough to draw blood. The hand holding my phone up to my ear going numb.

And then a soft sound erupts from his side of the phone.

He laughs.

I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding until now. My free hand unclenching from the fist I involuntarily had it in.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid?

"Cute, huh?"

"Shut up." I mumble out, a wide grin covering my face as my heart flutters in my chest.

Could he hear it?

Could he hear the loud beating of my heart through the phone. The erratic drum of my pulse going through the speakers.

"You're adorable."

"Ooo. Double point words, I'm intimidated." I laugh.

"Double point words? What the hell does that mean?" His loud laughter fills the air.

"Scrabble? Seriously? Long words get extra points?"

"You really are something Danielle." I could practically hear the huge smile in his voice. A quiet giggle erupting from my lips.