33

I look at myself in the mirror, a little proud of my appearance.
I mean, it's...acceptable?

My hair falls down my back in loose curls, light mascara and lip gloss. A nice sun dress matched with white converse.

"It works." I shrug.

My phone chimes. A text from Ryder.

Ryder:
> here

Alright. I look at myself in the mirror one more time, taking a deep breath.

Let's go.

I grab my phone and house key and jet out of my room and to the front door.

"Bye mom!" I shout before shutting the door behind me and walking to Ryder's car.

Once I open the door, his eyes leave the screen of his phone, brightening once they land on me.

"Hey babe, you look hot." He smiles.

Heat rushes to my cheeks at his words as I slide into the car.

"Thanks." I babble out.

Even though we're dating, I still can't get over him complementing me.

He continues to smile at me until I laugh, and then we're off.

He speeds down the street until we're on the main roads. Clusters of cars fill the lanes, their red taillights glowing through the dark night sky.

The soft sound of the radio playing fills the car. The smooth rumble of the car driving relaxes my nerves.

"You'll be alright." Ryder's hand slides into my lap, holding my thigh.

I get chills when he touches me, but it feels off still.

"I sure hope so." I breath out.

I look over at him, seeing his eyes take chances to look at me.

I smile, feeling some of the stress relieve from my body.

"It's not your first party anyways." He says a little dark, his jaw twitching.

His hands grip the steering wheel so hard that his knuckles fade into white.

I place my hand on top of his, feeling his relax under my touch.

"No, but this time I'm with you." I smile at him. Seeing his whole mood change within seconds.

"You're with me." He whispers to himself, smiling giddily.

It takes a few more minutes until we arrive at the house. And like expected, drunk teenagers fill the lawn.

I take deep breaths, feeling them get more shallow after each take.

"You okay?" Ryder asks, concerned.

"Yeah, I think so." I breath out.
"Do we have to be here?" I ask.

Something feels wrong, like it's suffocating me.

"It's just a party, Danny." Ryder states.
"Come on."

He gets out of the car, leaving me behind until he opens my door. Unbuckling my seat belt and pulling me out of the car by my hand. A stupid grin on his face.

"I'm not sure that-"

"I'll make sure you have fun, Danny." He tries to persuade me again.

"Okay." I sigh as we walk through the front door of the house.