6

I stare, horrified at the scene in front of me. The menacing death trap known to all high school students before. Each of its steps jagging out like sharp teeth ready to consume its next victim. Ready to drop you any second.

"Why the hesitation?" A harmonic voice whispered in my ear, sending shivers throughout my body.

The smell of vanilla and cinnamon filling my nose.

I turn around, an annoyed look on my face. Then turn back to my enemy.

"Hey, Blake." I breath out.

"You didn't answer my question, Danielle." He quirks an eyebrow, looking down at me.

"Because, I hate the stairs."

"Why?" He laughs.

"You never know when you'll trip and just roll down. They're the cause to a majority of deaths now days. That's why people take elevators." I cross my arms, staring in defeat at the long case of steps.

"Like falling from thousands of feet in a metal box is a much better way to die." He rolls his eyes, the side of his lips slightly upturning.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever. I still don't like them."

"Come on, they aren't that bad." He bumps my shoulder.

I keep my arms crossed and shake my head. My lips tightly pursed into a thin line.

"I'll walk with you and make sure you make it up the stairs alive." He smirks, eyeing me.

"Nope." I say before turning around and trying to walk away.

"No you don't." His arms wrap around my waist and drag me to the first step. He faces me towards the death trap and squeezes my shoulders as he pushes me up.

Each step, he whispers little congrats in my ear. A small smile etching its way onto my face. My cheeks burning a bright red as passing people give us weird looks.

Finally, at the last step, he grabs my hand. Tiny tingles shoot through the spot where he touched. He raises my hand up and yells, his voice echoing through the hall.

"She made it up the stairs people! Danielle Mar-" I slap him hard in his strong arm.
"Ow!" He whines, feigning a hurt expression while rubbing his hurt arm.

"Shut up." I hiss, looking around at all the eyes staring at us.

"That's going to leave a bruise." He whines again.

"Stop being such a baby." I roll my eyes, smiling at his pouting face.

"I am not a baby."

"Then stop acting like one."

"Bitch." He mumbles.

"What? What was that?" I step closer to him, standing on the tips of my toes to look intimidating.

Clearly failing miserably.

He then takes a step towards me, his towering height making me regret my decision.

"Don't try to act tough, you're too cute to be mean." He smirks, turning and walking away. Leaving me blushing like crazy.

Why do I always blush when he says stuff like that to me? I mean, it's not like he really means any of it.

Right?

I snap out of my thoughts and back to reality when someone roughly knocks my shoulder, sending me flying forward. I throw my hands in front of me and close my eyes, ready for my brutal landing.

But, it never comes.

I slowly open one eye to see someone's arms wrapped around my waist, my body slanting towards the floor. I open the other eye and trail them both up the arms and to the face connected to them.

I almost curse out in shock.

The arms that saved me belong to none other than the king of the school himself, Ryder Matthews.

A smile tugs at his lips as he stares down at me with his bright blue eyes. His blonde hair nicely slicked back and the smell of expensive cologne emitting from him.

"You okay?" His smile widens, kind of flirtatiously.

"Y-yeah, yeah...yup!" I rush out, scrambling from his hold. "I'm great! Thank you."

I shoulder past him...or...I try to. My foot gets caught on his and I trip. Almost falling again, he catches me.

"Falling for me that easily, huh?" He softly laughs, sending me a wink.

"Yeah, no. Thanks, though...for catching me and all."

"It's no problem. I'm always there for a damsel in distress." He smiles, his pearly white teeth sparkling like in the movies.

"Okay, sure." I furrow my eyebrows at him, mostly because of his word choice.

'Damsel in distress', really?

He looks at me, opening his mouth to speak. Luckily, the bell chooses that time to ring.

Saved by the bell, am I right?

I mutter some choice words under my breath, realizing that was the tardy bell. Now, I'm late.
I hurriedly walk passed him, avoiding his eyes. I hear him call to me after I walk away. His voice ringing out through the now empty hallway.

"Wait, what's your name?" Is all I hear before turning and disappearing into another hall.

A sigh of relief escapes my lips as I rush to my first period, that I am now late because the universe chose that time to kick me in the ass.

It's not like I hate Ryder or anything. It's just that I've been trying to keep a low radar since freshman year. Keep my head down and avoid attention. All I planned to do is get through high school, go to my dream college and make it to my dream job. That's all. Easy peasy. No drama, and no trouble.

That's why I have the friends that I have. They aren't like the other typical teens that attend high school. Even though they have lots of friends, they steer clear of drama. And I love them for that.

But, Ryder? He's all drama. For being the quarterback of the football team, he's always attracting trouble. With girls and guys. He's not a player like most guys, but he can never keep a relationship either. Still, he stands at the very top of the food chain. Popular.

I wasn't surprised that he didn't know my name. It's a normal everyday occurrence that people don't know me. And it doesn't bother me one bit. It just shows my progress. Nobody really knows me, except Blair and Kyla. And that's a good thing.

But, this week, it's different. I associated with one of the populars and fell into the arms of another.

Something tells me that laying low won't be easy anymore.

And that's a problem...