7

"I need you to do me a favor."

A familiar voice comes from behind my locker door. As I shut it, I meet his eyes that look even more green than the day before.

"And what would that favor be?" I ask, eyeing him warily before starting to walk to my next class.

"I need you to eat lunch with me." He says while falling into step beside me.

I snort, earning a vicious glance from Blake.

"You're asking me to eat lunch with you? Don't you have any other friends?"

"Yes, and yes. That's why I need you to come. I want you to bring your friend."

"Which one?" I ask, looking at him from the corner of my eye.

He looks confused, a frown on his face.

"I have more than one friend, you know?" I huff out.

"The blonde one you always hang around. My friend Marcus needs a girl and he won't listen to me. I was thinking maybe we could set them up at lunch or something." He sheepishly smiles. I stop in my tracks and stare at him. My mouth agape.

"You want me to invite my friend to eat lunch with y'all so you can set her up with yours?" I squint my eyes at him.

That has got to be the most stupid-

Actually, it's not that bad.

Kyla needs someone. She always says that she's fine but I know that she isn't. She needs someone to be hers. Someone to show her love, other than her mom and dad. And I'm going to get that for my best friend.

"Let's do it."

He looks shocked. His eyes wide as he stares at me. His mouth agape now.

"Really?"

"Yeah. I'll do it. It's good for the both of them, I guess." I shrug.

"Alright, great. Yes!" He cheers, pumping his arm in the air.

I laugh, shaking my head.
"Great."

"We'll meet you in the front after 5th period."

"Okay. But don't tell him about the set up and I won't tell her. They need to get closer by themselves. Let him do it alone."

We both start to walk again. His eyes linger on me as the sides of his lips upturn into a smile.

"What?" I laugh, taking a double look at him.

"Nothing." He shakes his head.

Before I could even ask him again, he's gone.

Again.

I swear he always does that!

Now, I have to break the news to Kyla.

This should be fun.

              ••••••••••••••••••••••••

"What?!"

"It's just lunch, Ky." I try to persuade her, her face red with...I actually don't know.

"Yeah, lunch with Blake Daniels and Marcus Wells!" She throws her hands up, exaggerating her stress.

"What's the problem?"

"The problem is that they're popular and we're not." She complains, her eyes closing as she lets out a shaky sigh.

"I'm not popular, you might as well be." I look to the ground, only half kidding.

I knew this wouldn't be easy, but I never knew it would be this difficult.