01 | I'm back ..

𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚜𝚎'𝚜 𝚙𝚘𝚒𝚗𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚟𝚒𝚎𝚠
𝚝𝚑𝚞𝚛𝚜𝚍𝚊𝚢, 𝚖𝚊𝚛𝚌𝚑 𝚏𝚒𝚏𝚝𝚑, 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚘𝚗𝚎

Though my eyes had long glossed over, I was listening intently to what Zara was saying. She was just as on edge as I was, "Are you sure you want to do this, Annalise?" Her voice came out a whisper, "You know," she cleared her throat, "you're always welcome at my house."

I looked away from the window, the world flying by, my eyes connecting with my mother's closest friends. "I know Zara," I sent her a reassuring smile, "but I have to do this."

I had been staying with Zara and Charlotte for the last two months, and I'd hardly left their guest room except to either eat, shower, or attend school on occasion. I was more grateful to them than I could express, but I had long overstayed my welcome.

She grasped my hand, squeezing lightly. "Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. It means a lot just knowing that you both are here." Right now Zara and Charlotte are the closest things I have to family, and as much as I didn't want to lose that... I valued my mother's dying wish even more.

She gave me a sad, teary smile. "I know kiddo, I'm sorry about this. She didn't deserve this, you didn't deserve this... they don't deserve this."

I knew who she was talking about.

Neither my father nor my brother knew of her passing. I hadn't spoken with my dad in months, after I left the calls got fewer and fewer until it was only holidays.

I stayed in touch with Aiden for the most part, but with junior year and football, he hasn't been the most available brother.

The car halted at a stop in front of the airport. Zara put it in park and peered over at me as I started to unbuckle, "You have nothing to be sorry for, Zara. Thank you, for everything." She gave my hand one last squeeze before I started to gather my things.

I stepped out of the car and closed the door, not a second passed before Zara rolled down the passenger seat window, "Annalise... Call me as soon as you get there, I don't give a single care about the time difference. If I don't answer, leave a message, okay?"

I could already feel my eyes tearing up, I hadn't expected this to be easy, but I also hadn't expected it to be this hard. Nodding, I clutched the bag I'd brought tightly between my fingers. "Of course, and I'll reach out every day, promise."

She looked as if she was going to demand I get back inside the car so that we could go home. Instead, she simply bit her lip in a hesitant way, "Alright," she finally said, "and please, be careful, Annalise."

"I will," I promised. "Can you make sure to tell Char I said bye, and that I love her?" After seeing Zara's nod I turned and started to walk. I didn't look back, I couldn't look back, for if I did I feared I might not go through with it.

The doors closed behind me, and suddenly, I was alone, sectioned off from the life I'd come to know. I took a deep breath and tried my best to shake off the feelings of despair, I'm doing this for mom, I reminded myself.

Looking for any way to distract myself, I headed towards the check-in counter to get an early start. Besides, dad would be livid if I missed my flight; I'd be lucky to get another this close to spring break, and if I did it would be at least another day and a half before it would leave since it's international.

Though the line wasn't longer than three people I fidgeted anxiously with my fingers. The lady in the front seemed to be complaining about her flight to Queensland, apparently, it was much too early, never mind that she'd bought the ticket full well knowing the time.