I'm back - 05 | summer & horror do mix

𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚜𝚎'𝚜 𝚙𝚘𝚒𝚗𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚟𝚒𝚎𝚠
𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚖𝚊𝚛𝚌𝚑 𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚑, 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚘𝚗𝚎

We'd stopped for food and snacks on the way home from Captain Red's Funland, and as we filed into the house we were met with my dad holding a suitcase in one hand and a briefcase in the other. I gave him a look of confusion as Aiden questioned him, "Where are you off to this time?"

He turned around, noticing us. "My client in Washington D.C is set for trial this week, I have to be there. If all goes well, I should be back by next Wednesday. I expect the two of you to behave?" I wanted to argue, but I held my tongue, nodding instead.

I turned to Aiden as Daphne, Zach, and Ryan awkwardly walked past us into the living room and putting the snacks on the coffee table. "Why does he have to leave all the time?" 

Aiden shrugged, "He's a good lawyer, his clients need him." We didn't say anything else on the matter, it was just the way dad was and we both knew he wasn't going to change easily.

Once we'd joined our friends in the living room everyone had already found their seats. While the guys brainstormed movies, I headed upstairs to change, Daphne followed in suit. She didn't say anything. "What's on your mind, D?" I asked as I walked into my closet.

She swallowed, "Oh, it's nothing."

I smirked, pulling down a pair of grey knit shorts and an oversized creme sweatshirt. "Does it perhaps start with R and end with yan?" I teased.

She gasped, "Ew! No!" But I could see the blush creeping on her face.

I knew that Daphne had a crush on Ryan growing up, she's my best friend- I always know. I'd seen the way she was looking at Ryan since I got back, something was definitely there. But I wasn't going to force it out of her, she'll tell me when she's ready.

I slipped on the clothes as she turned back around, "What about you, Lise? Life sucks, but when God closes a door he opens a window." 

I started dying with laughter, I know mom would have too. "Daphne Kate Milner, are you insinuating that since God gave my mother cancer he sent a cute boy to make up for it?"

She shrugged, "I didn't say it.." When I didn't say anything she frowned, "Too soon?"

I shook my head, embracing her in a tight hug. I had tears in my eyes, happy tears. "Perfect timing, I really needed that." Everyone has been walking around on eggshells around me since my mother passed, I could always count on Daphne to keep some sort of normalcy between us.

She wiped imaginary sweat from her brow, "Thank god," as we walked downstairs she stopped me. "You know you can always talk to me about that stuff, Annalise. I know I have two happy, living parents. But I'm always here for you."

I nodded, "I know Daph, I know." 

After our moment, we returned downstairs to find the boys waiting for us with a list.

"Here's what we've come up with," Ryan said as we sat down in our respected spots. He listed them off, "The Final Girls, The Babysitter, Friday the 13th, and The Conjuring." All sound great, but also terrible in the sense that I'm also not so keen on horror movies.

I put my head in my hands, "Why are we even doing this?.." I questioned everything.

Ryan started laughing evilly, "I fucking love horror movies!" 

I looked between Zach and Daphne, "So? What are we watching first?" I was excited for movie night, not too excited for the actual movies.

The room's aura seemed to light up as we started talking and just having a great time. "I say we go with The Conjuring first, it's different from the other choices." Aiden suggested.