I'm back - 27 | apples & undereye bags

𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚜𝚎'𝚜 𝚙𝚘𝚒𝚗𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚟𝚒𝚎𝚠
𝚖𝚘𝚗𝚍𝚊𝚢, 𝚖𝚊𝚢 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚍, 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚘𝚗𝚎

"Hey Lise," Daphne muttered, sitting beside me at the table. "How's it going?" 

I grunted, "How do you think?" I turned to her, knowing she could see the undereye bags. 

It hasn't been the easiest week at home. Dad doesn't come out of his room much, he walked by me in the kitchen yesterday and didn't even acknowledge my existence. He's set to leave on a business trip to Montana this afternoon, so maybe it'll be easier with him gone. 

I'm hopeful.

Daphne frowns, "You still haven't talked to him?" I shook my head no, "Honestly Annalise, you should've done it the day it happened. Now it's festering, I don't think that this is going to end very well." Daphne warns.

I've taken it into consideration, and she's right. But I didn't have it in me to try and talk to him then, just like I still don't now. This isn't going to be easy to get past, and if we couldn't get over the little thing in the past, then how can I expect him to overcome this?

"I know, but he won't even look me in the eye. What am I supposed to say to him?" She shrugged as both Summer and Ryan joined us, "Hey guys," I muttered quietly, taking an apple slice into my mouth. I didn't want to talk about it anymore.

They all muttered hellos. We were all tired, after all, it is Monday- the worst day of the week.

As Zach and Aiden joined us I coughed, "I'm going to the bathroom." As I walked out of the cafeteria I didn't notice Summer following me. 

I entered the bathroom, splashing some water on my face. "You okay, Lise?" I jumped at the sound of her voice, whipping around. I didn't know what to say as she came and stood next to me, "Do you want to talk about it?"

Summer had actually been there when the fight happened, she had heard everything. There was no way that I could bullshit with her, she saw right through it. "Not really, but it might help." I reluctantly agreed, taking a seat against the wall. She joined me, "My dad is... well, he's basically pretending that I don't exist."

Summer's face remained neutral, "I know that it's hard," She paused, and I couldn't help but feel like her words held comfort, but no real meaning. Did she really get it? It was as if she read my mind based on what she said next, "Lately my parents have been fighting a lot, Samuel and I have to hide upstairs. I usually just try to keep him talking about something so that he won't hear, he's too young, too innocent."

I crossed my arms over my chest, hugging myself tightly. 

That's what Aiden did for me two years ago when mom started picking fights. We would hide out in his room, playing video games way too loud as to drown out the fight. 

"I know that my mother is alive and my father and I have a good relationship, I can't possibly understand what you're going through. But, that doesn't change the fact that you're one of my best friends and I love you. Lise, I'll always be here. I'm a great listener and a shoulder to cry on should you ever need one."

I nodded, biting my lip to hold in the tears. 

"Things will get better, and probably in the most unexpected of ways." she sent me a small, mischievous smile. She looked like a kid who just won oreo on the playground.

I nodded, "I know, you're right." The bell suddenly rang loudly overhead, "I guess that's our cue." But then I got the urge to pee, something I didn't have when I came in. I looked between the door and the stall before waving Summer off, "Go on without me, I actually have to pee."