Change of Plans (3)

As per instructions, Darcy and Cosette got into line with the first years when the arrived at the school. They we're going to be sorted with them, so it would be easier. Though Cosette would be called before Darcy, even though her last name was Lupin, so that Darcy could tell her when it was her turn to go up. She noticed George and his brother Fred sitting together at one of the tables, and he gave her a thumbs up, but when she was about to give him one back Darcy nudged her to go forward because her name had been called.

She smiled sheepishly at the teacher standing with the hat, who smiled kindly back at her. If she wasn't mistaken, she was Mcgonnagal, the Gryffindor head of the house. She cast a glance at her father before sitting down on the three-legged stool. She's glad she knew the hat was supposed to talk, or the vibrations that it made would have scared her.

She knew she had been sorted into Gryffindor, because she knew that's where George was, and the entire table started to cheer suddenly. Just to confirm, she turned to her father, who pointed to the table proudly. The second her name was called, George had asked Angelina to scoot over, so she could sit in front of him. She didn't mind doing it, and George excitedly pointed to the spot as she made her way down, so she made her way to sit there.

"That's the girl from the train, right?" Fred asked curiously.

"Yes, guys this is Cosette," George said to them as she sat down. She gave a small wave and smile, unsure of how this was going to go.

They all said hello to her, and turned to the stage where Darcy was being sorted. She saw the hat say a few things, before calling something out that made the table in green start to cheer. They both frowned, not having anticipated being sorted into two different houses because her dad said the hat would put them together. She saw her dad say something to Dumbledore, as Darcy went over to the table smiling at her awkwardly.

"Why was she not supposed to be there?" George asked her, drawing the attention of the people around them with the sign language. The hat had said out loud that he was going to put her in Slytherin anyway. 

"The hat was supposed to put her with me, so she could help me," She responded, just as her father and McGonagall came up to them.

"You can speak sign language?" The professor asked curiously, not having expected that from him.

"Yes..." He said slowly, not sure what she wanted with that information. "I met Cosette on the train."

"Can Ginny?" She asked curiously.

"Can Ginny what?" Ginny asked from next to Fred when she heard her name.

"My daughter is deaf, and needs someone to help her out in the commons and stuff," Remus said confidently. Neither one of them were ashamed of the fact, and Cosette knew that her father would panic if she didn't have someone there who could understand her.

"I'll do it," She said, waving back at Cosette who had waved at her.

"Great!" Remus said, "See you all in class."

"Why do you all know sign language?" Mcgonnagal asked curiously.

"George and I learned it to talk about pranks, then they caught on and learned it so they knew what we were planning," Fred told her with a grin. "It was George's idea, and is finally coming in handy."

McGonagall's eyes were drawn to George, who was touching the back of his neck while staring the slightest bit blankly at Cosette, thinking about something. She couldn't tell what, but as she was walking away, she caught the slightest flash of silver underneath his fingertips.

Mcgonnagal arranged for both Ginny and Cosette to share a dorm room, which Ginny was extremely excited about because they got their own bathroom too. She was telling Cosette all about how difficult it was to shower at a decent time when sharing one, which made her grateful as well about it. Ginny was not as good at sign language as George was, but was better than Fred who hardly said anything to her. She didn't mind though, because she hadn't expected anyone to know it besides the teachers, and that's what she told Ginny before they settled in for bed.

Waking up was strange because she woke up to Ginny shaking her. That was the main reason she needed someone with her -because she couldn't use alarms. She apologized to Ginny because they were running a little late by the time she finally woke up and got herself together. She nearly walked out the door without her glasses and had to go back for them.

They were handed their schedules as soon as they walked in, and both sat down to have Fred and George sit with them a moment later.

"How does she understand what people say if she's deaf?" Angelina asked George, though Cosette saw, and said something to her that she didn't understand. George translated for her easily.

"She said she was eight when she lost her hearing, so she can read lips really well," He told her, "How did you lose your hearing?"

Cosette just shrugged her shoulders, not wanting to get into it at all, much less so early in the morning. It wasn't exactly a happy story. She handed him her schedule instead, and he passed her his figuring as much. If she didn't want to tell him she didn't have too. They watched Darcy come up and take Cosette's schedule from her when George handed it back, and sit down next to her with a red marker to mark the classes that they had together.

She had all of her core classes with the two boys and their friends, but none of her elective classes, where it was the opposite with her and Darcy, meaning that someone would always be there to understand her and give her the notes if she misses a few words during a lecture. She was glad she made friends with Fred and George, who offered for her to sit in between them so that no one would try and talk to her when she couldn't. It made her life easier, and less lonely to have them to talk too.