Safe and Sound (15)

Everything after seeing Barty was a blur for Cosette, and she pretty much let George lead her where she needed to go. He could tell she had seen something that she shouldn't have or didn't want too, and he didn't ask her about it which she was glad for. No one would understand, they would think she was crazy just like they did the first time that she drew his face and showed her father. He was supposed to be dead, and his father worked for the ministry.  

When they made their way back to the tents, Cosette didn't let go of George's hand for a moment. Knowing that he was there and safe made seeing the dying flames of the attack a little easier. She was almost grateful she couldn't hear because from the look on George's face she was sure that it sounded terrible.  They all went back inside the tent as instructed by Arthur, finding that Ron and Hermione were there without Harry. Their older brothers were there too, and she was glad that George didn't let go of her hand when his brothers hugged them all. She felt like she would fall apart if he let go. 

The only brother that she hadn't met yet was in the kitchen fretting over tea for an all too familiar face. It seemed fitting that Barty Crouch Sr. would be there to taunt her. She sent him a solid glare so harsh that he felt it and looked up at her. The second they locked eyes, he knew that she knew what he had done. He rose in his seat so abruptly that he nearly knocked Percy over. 

"Cosette, how are you?" He asked, making everyone look at him curiously.

"Still deaf," She signed, still using one hand as her other was in Georges.

"Still deaf," George told him for her,  which made him cringe a bit. George didn't think twice before translating for her which she appreciated. 

"Right," He said, taking that as the perfect opportunity to leave. Cosette had already turned away to sit down on the couch, making it clear she didn't care to talk to him. 

She let go of Georges' hand for the first time only for him to wrap his arm around her shoulder when they sat on the couch. She didn't know for sure, but he didn't want to let go of her either. He played it cool but she could feel his pulse racing when she put her head on his shoulder and pulled her feet up so she was comfortable. She doubted she would ever be uncomfortable when she was with him though.

When Remus got there to help any way he could and to make sure Cosette and Harry were okay, he was taken aback by the fact she was sleeping. She and George were the only ones that were, and he had let his head rest on hers for support in their upright position on the couch. Cosette was closer to him then, as she had turned with her face in his neck and he had put his arm around her waist just a little to support her body there. Cosette's hand, which was on Georges' chest near her face, had a fist full of his sweater in it and he knew he would never be able to get her to let go of him. When she slept, she had to be holding onto something, her parents called it her death grip because it was nearly impossible to get her to let go of whatever it was. Most of the time it was her own shirt, or her blanket or pillow, but this time it was him. 

"I'm surprised that they are asleep," Arthur commented, seeing the same thing as him, "George never does sleep well."

"Cosette either," He said, casting an amused glance at him to see he had the same one. They both knew that it was a sign. "She's got her death grip on him and I'm not sure I'll be able to get her to let go."

"She can stay, of course," Arthur offered, "I'm sure Molly would love to meet her in the morning."

"That's a good idea because she really won't let go," Ginny chimed in, from her seat with Hermione. "Not with George's sweater in one piece anyway."

"Does she really hold on that tight?" Fred asked curiously. Remus nodded his head, gesturing for him to give it a try which he did of course. Cosette only hid her face in George's neck and he swatted Fred's hand away absently in a completely asleep way.

"That settles it then," Remus said with a smile. "Let me know when you guys get tired of her and I'll come to pick her up."

George was confused and pleasantly surprised when he woke up on the couch with Cosette asleep in his arms. He vaguely remembered falling asleep, and could only partially recall waking up and having her move with him so that they weren't sitting up. Instead, they were both laying down, with her half on his chest, their legs tangled, and his sweater bunched up in her hand where it laid on his stomach. The tent was dark and quiet and if he listened close enough he could hear that her heartbeat was nearly in sync with his. He was hyperaware of every place where their bodies touched, particularly where both their shirts had risen a little at the bottom and their skin pressed together in the most amazing way. He didn't even think it was possible to feel so much at one time, just because the girl of his dreams was there with him. His heart rate picked up when he dared to touch her, simply moving her hair away from her neck so that it wasn't covering her beautiful face.

He mentally cursed himself for it because she stirred slightly. He wasn't ready for her to go yet and he hadn't meant to wake her up. He felt her grip loosen on his shirt then she let go of it to put her hand over where his heart was, tapping out the beats softly. Of course, it was his heart that woke her up considering how frantic it was mixed with the fact that when someone lost a sense their others strengthened, so she probably felt it just as much as he did. After a moment of her tapping, she lifted her head up and rested her chin on the back of her hand so that she was laying her head on it and looking up at him with a sleepy expression. Her eyes were only half open but she saw enough of his messy hair, tired eyes, and goofy smile for a smile of her own to appear. 

Her other hand that had been on his heart moved, and he thought she was going to say something but instead, she had brought it near his face, using the very tips of her fingers to brush along the line of his cheek that was littered with freckles. His were the darkest out of all of his siblings that lived with them because he helped his mom outside the most. She had on the most content face as she moved his hair out of his face gently and let her hand come to a stop against his neck. She felt something cold there but was too enchanted by his brown eyes to even think about it. 

He wondered what she was thinking then, and if she knew that she was only making him fall harder for her every second. She was thinking the same thing as she studied his features as he did hers. The look in his eyes and the smile on his face did crazy things to her heart and she wanted more than anything to know if he felt the same way. The sun had started to rise outside, and they both knew that the moment had passed and that the window of opportunity had closed. His family would be waking up and if they saw then like that then they would never hear the end of it. Though, that didn't stop George from holding Cosette close one last time before getting up.