Kiss (25)

Cosette didn't have a clear idea of what had happened, not that she minded. She didn't think that she wanted to know, which is why she didn't ask. She sat with her back turned to the others who spoke and held Harry's hand. He had been put to sleep by the nurse and looked incredibly distressed, it made her worry for him. George stood there with a hand on her shoulder as she was sat down in one of the few chairs there. He knew she was confused and wanted her to know that he was there and wouldn't leave her side. 

Her parents walked in a short while later and joined them in the silence and Cosette didn't look up until Sirius jumped up onto the bed in his animagus form. She gave him a quick pat on the head as she caught Molly dismissing her children upon Dumbledores request. Cosette wanted George to stay but knew that wouldn't be fair to Fred, and if Fred stayed so would Ginny, so she chose to kiss her father on the cheek and head out with them. Dumbledore would be showing Sirius to Molly and Arthur to help plan what would be happening next and didn't want the kids to see and begin to panic. He was a convicted and escaped murderer after all. George had her go ahead with Fred, which she complied too, while he turned to Remus.

"It was Crouch, wasn't it?" George asked him, though the tone of his voice suggested that he already knew that he was correct.

"How did you-" He started to ask but he stopped himself. "She told you."

"So it was him. He was disguised as Moody, wasn't he?" He asked worriedly.

"Yes, it was," He answered simply, not bothering to ask him how he knew that. "He was given the dementors kiss."

"Good," George said, before walking away. Remus had expected him to say how he had guessed as much before leaving but he didn't. 

All the parents watched as he caught back up with Cosette who was holding the door for him patiently with her back still turned. He greeted her by pressing his hand to the small of her back and she didn't even flinch, she just continued walking with his as if she had been watching when she wasn't. Instead of pondering this connection, the adults all turned to Dumbledore waiting for him to continue. 

He was reinstating the Order of the Pheonix, starting with the many of their past members including Sirius Black. Molly and Arthur were shocked by this but not nearly as shocked as when Sirius revealed himself. He introduced himself to them claiming Cosette spoke highly of them, which made them both smile even under the circumstance. 

Cosette left Hogwarts with her father that night after they were finished speaking about what they needed too. The twins promised to send her best wishes to Harry and to promise him that she would visit him as soon as she could. 

By the next morning, she wasn't so sure of when that would be. All three of her parents sat her down at the table to explain to her the severity of the events of the night and what it meant for her. She would have to lay low and be extra careful. There was no system for those with soulmates but if there was a death eater in the ministry it was possible that they could come across her and learn that she had one. They didn't say so, but they were cautious about letting her go anywhere. 

When school let out the first thing that she wanted was to see the Weasleys and Harry but instead, her parents all decided to have her move into Sirius's childhood home that was being used as a headquarters for the order. They thought that it would be safest for her there and even Lena agreed. She was sworn to secrecy about her location, which meant that she couldn't have her friends over there. 

She was glad that she was allowed to bring her pets along with her to the boring and empty house. Cosette owned an assortment of odd creatures including a snake, two geckos, and a large spider. She couldn't have any other pets because they required more attention she could comfortably give them without the ability to hear. The only Weasley that knew exactly what pets she had was George as the others had her cover the terrariums when they came over. They didn't want to know what she had because they would be freaked out.

Even though she was not supposed to mail anyone, she did. If she wouldn't be seeing her friends she was at least going to speak to them whether Dumbledore agreed or not.  She missed George more and more with every day that passed, with nothing to do in the house but read, water her window plants, or watch her pets. Though, she had a feeling that before long they would see each other again.