Fifth Sense (24)

From what Fred had just seen, he knew better than to try to talk to George about what had happened. When he found him in the dorms he only told him that everyone agreed not to say anything and he only nodded. He was staring at the ceiling and concentrating on getting his breathing how it was meant to be.

His mind was racing through everything Moody had said. He knew Cosette's name but it was possible that it was because he heard them speak about her before. He had no way of knowing if Cosette was cursed or not, which was why he was wondering if she really was. The case was never shared or brought to trial, according to what she told him. It was possible that he knew because he was an Auror, but at the same time, something about it just didn't settle right with him.

If Cosette was actually cursed, it made sense why she didn't want to tell her parents about them being soulmates. They would want him to reverse it, and chances were that she didn't want that. He would speak to her about it as soon as he got the chance but knew that when it came to it, the choice was hers. He loved her, deaf or not.

The next weekend they spent together, George asked her about what he learned. He was nervous about asking simply because he didn't want her to get upset if he was right. She explained to him what happened, and what Barry Crouch Jr. had done. He told her exactly what he had thought in the beginning, that he wouldn't ever make her do anything she didn't want too because he liked her just the way she was and she didn't need to change.

After the second task being so uneventful, the school welcomed the third, hoping that it would be more exciting than the last. The champions were all allowed to have their families come to watch the final task, which had become a sore topic for Harry. Ron and the twins were consolidating him on their way to the great hall the morning of the talk, only to open the doors to see the rest of the Weasleys waiting for them. Molly, Arthur, and Bill were there, and Cosette was too. The only one missing was Charlie.

They greeted Harry with a big group hug that they had been coordinating while they waited for them to get there. When Harry started to cry, it was Cosette that pulled him into a personal hug. George knew that they had been talking back and forth, and how they were god-siblings and both wanted to act like it, which was why they stayed in touch and Harry had been working hard to learn sign language, even when he had so many other things to worry about. When Harry moved on to hug Molly, George didn't even have to think before catching her in his arms when she attacked him with a hug.

Eyes were on them from the Ravenclaw table, specifically, the students who had been in class with him when Moody exposed his having a soulmate. The smile they shared was enough to know that she was the one that Moody had spoken of, and though they were curious, they looked away.

The family all sat together and George chose the seat next to Cosette for two reasons. He wanted to be as close as possible, and so she could speak to Harry who sat in where he normally would have. He knew his family knew about them, so he knew he didn't have to hide his fondness any longer and his sweet gestures would only be teased and not questioned. It didn't matter to them that he had his arm around her waist and he was glad for it because he had missed her. Bill was very open about his excitement that they were together and it was borderline embarrassing for him to screaming about it, but neither of them really cared because they were just as happy.

Her hand stayed in his while Harry entered the maze that afternoon, and he was extremely aware of the way she reacted to seeing Moody. She didn't even seem to notice him at first, then after a while began the nervous glances and the way she stood much closer to him than they normally would have in that moment.

"Is everything okay? You're acting nervous," George asked her when she made eye contact with moody and broke it to stand where she was nearly pressed against his chest with her back turned to him. She nodded.

She thought she was being paranoid when she looked at Alastor Moody and could swear that Barry Jr was looking back. It was in the way his eyes widened wildly and his tongue darted out of his mouth like a snake when he looked at her. The stance, the stare, it was all too familiar from her nightmares when they shouldn't be.

Cosette had walked away to go to the bathroom, taking Ginny with her because she didn't want to go alone. Something about Moody had never settled right, and the moment that he looked up to find him not there, he realized that things just didn't add up and that for some reason, Cosette could be in trouble. He was just about to follow Moody, who was still just in sight when the sound of the band playing brought everyone to look towards the maze.

In the center where the champions once stood to enter was Harry, and in his lap, unmoving, was Cedric Diggory. The scene that should have been one of celebration was instead somber and full of fear once everyone could understand what Harry was saying. He was telling them that Cedric was dead. That Voldemort had returned and there was nothing he could have done. George turned back to continue on his way to Cosette with Harry's repeated apologies ringing in his ear.

When he found her, she and Ginny were stopped in the middle of the path watching the scene as well. Ginny must have heard it and drew her attention too it, and since they were behind rows of people and couldn't see what was happening, her face was filled with confusion. Ginny took one look at George and knew that it was okay to leave Cosette with him and pushed her way to the front of the crowd without a second thought.

George, on the other hand, took Cosette's hand and swept her in the opposite direction, only narrowly avoiding Moody when he reached out with his free hand to grab her at the same time. His other hand was holding Harry by the neck and dragging him along. When he saw that she was then in George's arms, he stormed off, deciding that he needed to get out of there quickly and there was no way he could take them on in the few spare moments he had.

George was starting to understand just how dangerous they were together because in the few moments that Moody had reached for her, he had felt an overwhelming sense of power, of protectiveness. His body was nearly radiating it and though Cosette was still shocked and confused, she felt it too.  She no longer felt worried or panicked any longer, she felt stronger with George at her side, and nothing was going to hurt them- ever. 

Cosette would later that night compare what she had felt to a sense, and George agreed as they exchanged words in the Gryffindor common room where they were waiting for the okay to go and see Harry. In her case, he was the missing fifth sense, and she was his sixth. They were in tune to the other in a way that they weren't with anyone else, and knowing that helped to wash away their nervousness for the world they were about to enter. Voldemort was back, and that world was a dangerous one for them.