Wishful Thinking (5)

Halloween was by far Cosettes favorite holiday, so she joined Lee and Angelina happily in the great hall for their Halloween feast. There were more ghosts out than there normally was, and the candles that floated on the ceiling had been replaced with jack-o-lanterns that she was looking at when suddenly someone came up behind her and shook her. She felt a surprised yelp come out of her mouth and she turned around quickly to see George standing behind her with a bright smile. He and Fred were running late, seemingly because of the fake blood they had smeared all over there faces and the vampire teeth they had put into their mouths.

George was surprised when she made the surprised sound, and even more when it was followed by a laugh when she looked at him. She normally didn't make any kind of sound if she could help it, coming from the fact that she couldn't hear it to know if it was loud or ugly sounding, and that was the first time he could remember her properly laughing. It made him impossibly happy, and he was determined to make her laugh again.

"You look terrible," She signed as he sat down next to her. Normally he sat across from her, but since he was already on that side of the table and Fred on the other, he decided to stay.

"You mean amazing," He corrected, taking the teeth out of his mouth when he was done and putting them into his pocket so he could eat. "It made you laugh so it served its purpose."

She didn't really know what to say about that, so she just stuck her tongue out at him. Neither one of them noticed her father watching them from his place at the teacher's table with a curious smile. He was curious because Cosette really was picky about making noise in public, on somehow he made her laugh. At first, she had trouble with not making noise, but the longer she was deaf the better she got at doing things silently. Though, when she was at home she spent a lot of her time making noise just for the feeling of it.

Towards the end of dinner, Cosette left early with Darcy, the two of them intending to spend some time together before curfew, and Fred took that as an opportunity to talk to George about something he had been thinking about. He wasn't blind and knew that his brother was quickly starting to like her more than he should. Instead of actually speaking, he used sign language so that no one heard what he was talking about, watching his hand find the chain of his necklace.

"I thought you were stuck on the whole soulmate idea?" He asked him. At first, George was confused, not understanding what he meant or why he couldn't just say it out loud, then his brain processed what he was being told, and he pulled his hand away from his neck.

"I don't know," He said, thinking suddenly about the necklace around his neck that he had for as long as he could remember. 

His soulmate was born in September, meaning it appeared on him then, merely five months after he and Fred were born. Molly and Arthur were surprised, to say the least, only having just gotten used to the idea of their eldest son, Bill, having a soulmate as well though he was seven years old when his soulmate was born, meaning that it was harder for him to adjust to the nonremovable fleur de lis pendant where for George wearing his was the only thing he knew.

"Maybe it's her," Fred said out loud casually. 

"The chances of that are astronomically unlikely," George said, rolling his eyes. "Plus it says C.M.L.B. and she's Lupin."

"But think about it. Is she?" Fred said suddenly, leaning over the table towards him seriously. "It would make everything make sense."

"Stop," George said seriously, leaning over the table as well to make sure he knew that he was serious. He didn't like to talk about it and didn't want to entertain the idea because he knew it was too good to be true.

When Fred and George did head back to the common rooms, they were greeted with the news that Sirius Black had broken in, and in a moment of panic they realized they had no idea where Cosette was. Remus went up to the just as they shared a panicked look. He seemed calm enough, but then again, he didn't believe that Sirius would hurt Cosette even if he had found her.

Remus was able to send letters to Sirius while he was in Azkaban, so he knew that Cosette was deaf, and how it happened. He was even questioned about it, and even though he could never write back to them, Remus knew that he was worried for her. Though Sirius did already know sign language, so if he found her at least they would be able to talk.

"Where is Cosette?" He asked, noticing their uneasyness.

"She went off with Darcy,"  George said, turning around suddenly. They didn't understand why he turned around until they saw Cosette coming their way completely oblivious to what was happening.

"What's going on out here?" She asked them curiously. She had just noticed that no one was going into the common room.

Her father filled her in on what happened quickly, and when Dumbledore told them all to go to the great Hall he told her that too, tapping her cheek before walking away. Everyone started moving back towards the great Hall at the same time, and George unintentionally put Cosette in front of him just as she was about to get run over by someone who wasnt paying attention where they were going.  It seemed he was always doing just what she needed.

When they got into the great Hall, they were told that they were going to be stay there for the night while the castle was searched, and Ginny came up carrying a sleeping bag for Cosette which she took happily. She knew better than anyone that Cosette didn't get enough sleep, she never had because she was just a restless sleeper. She was going to stay with Ginny or Darcy, because they knew that, but when the two boys offered for her to stay she excepted.

"Cosette sleeps just as bad as you do," Ginny said to George when she was getting ready to go to her friends, "So at least you'll have someone to talk too."

"I doubt it. George sleeps next to never!" Fred said,

"Cosette too!"

With that, she left them so that they could set up their sleeping bags there on the ground with Lee and Angelina as well. George made sure to be next to Cosette in case Ginny was right, so he would have to just stare at the ceiling. She smiled at her softly, watching her decided where to put her glasses so that they would be the safest. Taking off her glasses changed her features only the slightest bit, by making her eyes look noticeably bigger than they were behind the glass.

A few minutes after everyone settled down and the lights were turned off,  Fred turned to say something to George and was surprised when he didn't answer. Fred sat up to see his face, which was facing Cosette, to see them both dead asleep. He found it odd, but didn't mind because George was sleeping, and so was Cosette.