Sneaky (19)

Fred and George entered Hogsmeade together and met with Cosette in the same place the normally did. Fred was going to give them time alone, so he pretended like he saw a girl that he liked and excused himself before they walked into the three broomsticks with a pat on George's shoulder to let him know why he was leaving.  In truth, he had seen Angelina and gone to ask her to sit with him near the two to eavesdrop and she didn't hesitate to say yes or ask why.

He opened the door for her with a grin and made a gesture for her to go ahead. She lead him to the nearest table for two that she could find, even though there was also a bigger table she could have chosen. If he had asked why she would tell him she didn't want to take up space if a bigger group did come in when the truth was that it allowed her to be closer to him.

"Any plans for the break?" He asked her curiously, trying not to seem like he was going anywhere with the question.

"No," She answered with a shrug, as he stopped to order drinks for the two of them. 

"The school is having a ball."

"I heard about that, my mom told me," She told him. "For the tournament, right?"

"Would you like to go to it? With me? As my date?" He asked her, his hands moving fast as he added each question to the end of the first. He was not that nervous and just wanted to make sure he understood what he meant by with him.

"Is that allowed," She asked with a smile, leaning forward with a mischievous grin. "Are you sneaking me in?"

"You just have to sign some papers but I am all good with sneaking you," He told her, leaning forward just as she did. 

He reached behind her head with an empty hand, with his face painfully close to her own. She raised a confused eyebrow, but it turned into a happy laugh when his hand came back with the said paper in it. That was one trick that she never could do and never ceased to make her laugh. He had done it once to her over the summer with popcorn, as the magic required to do it was minimal if you knew how, and she nearly died laughing. Her laughter was not as extreme as the last time but nearly made his heart explode with happiness as she took the paper from him to look at. It already had his signature on it and her eyes lingered on his middle initial.

"Is that an F?" She asked curiously, knowing full well that it was. He didn't know that she knew his middle name and wanted an excuse to tell him hers so she could see his reaction and give him one of her own.

"Yes, my middle name is Fabian," He said, he wrote it down on a paper that she had pulled from the small bag she kept as soon as she handed him the pen. He wasn't sure how to use it at first but trusted her enough to just go with it.  "What's yours?"

"Marlene," She answered, spelling it out. They made eye contact and it was like the world have frozen in its tracks. 

"What is your full name?" He asked her, not being able to move. His eyes were searching hers for some reaction and he got it when she moved her gaze to the paper and took the pen from his hand. He had written his full name down on the page, and she went to the next one she had and pressed down the pen, stopping to look back at him with pursed lips. There was no reason for him to ask her that, she realized that, and he knew she had realized it too.

Cosette Marlene Lupin Black

A bewildered smile found its way onto his lips and it was almost as if he couldn't believe what he was seeing. That was the missing part to the puzzle- the only reason he had any doubt that Cosette was his soulmate. C.M.L.B. was a very specific set of initials and knowing that her true last name was Black was the last answer to the question. It was her, it had always been her.

It was her turn to watch with careful eyes through the frames of her glasses. He showed no outward reaction to her proclamation besides wonder, and she didn't think he understood what she was trying to say. To cover up her disappointment, she told him about how they had it changed to just Lupin when Sirius was imprisoned. He went to answer, but Fred came bounding up to them with an excited grin, swiftly interrupting their moment to explain how he just got a date with a hot girl from Beauxbatons. He had wondered off from Angelina when he noticed the girl staring, and asked her to keep an eye on them, completely forgetting that she didn't know sign language. 

"Oh! Did you say yes to being George's date?" Fred asked her curiously. She kicked George under the table softly to make sure he went along and put on a confused and doe-eyed face that made George's heart melt.

"Your what?" She asked him, keeping up the pretense that he hadn't asked her. 

George did a fantastic job of looking flustered, raising his hands as if to say something and putting on a nervous face while putting them down again. He couldn't keep it up very long because Cosette had started to laugh at the face Fred made at the thought of him ruining his brother's big reveal.

"Of course I did!" She said, waving the paper that she had in her hand at him.

"Oh Merlin, I thought I ruined it!" He said, putting his hand over his heart as the two of them high fived over the table. "That was not funny."