Birth Stone (8)

Cosette walked back to the common room alone after having spent the better part of the day with her father. There weren't many other people around in the hallways but those who were didn't pay much attention to her. The people who didn't know sign language avoided her, mostly because they were afraid she would try to say something to them. She understood that and wasn't upset with them doing it because she did the same thing, because without much context- lipreading was very difficult. That's why she appreciated the Weasleys so much because even though they knew she would understand if they spoke out loud, they didn't.

The lady in the portrait let her in instantly, and the first thing her eyes were drawn too in the nearly empty common room was George, who was nearly hidden in the corner of the room. He had his eyes glued on the pages of the book she had given him and was so focused that he didn't even notice her come in until he heard her move the chair in front of him. She watched as the most adorable smile formed on his face when he saw her, and it quickly spread to her. He put his book down on the table after putting in a scrap of paper to hold his place near the end.

"Did you have a good break?" He asked her curiously. She couldn't help but smile even bigger at him as she nodded her head.

"I did. How about you, are you liking the book?"

That got George talking about the book, and she was more than happy to listen. It was one of her favorites so she had no problem saying plenty as well. He even made her laugh again, much to his delight. After a while of talking, he noticed the ring on her finger, or more the color of the stones as he had noticed the ring as soon as she started talking. At first, he thought they were all one color, but when they turned on the lamp since the sun was setting, he realized that it was a very familiar pattern.

"Is that a new ring?" He asked her, changing the topic.

"Yeah, from my dad," She said, holding out her hand to show him.

"Why those stones?" He asked her, trying to seem casual but he could feel his facial expression was all wrong.

"Sapphire is my birthstone," She told him, though she could tell by the face he made that he didn't know the word for sapphire. "The blue one."

"Birthstones are the stone for your month, right?" He asked her figuring out how to word sapphire. "What would mine be, for April?"

She signed a word that he didn't know after a moment of thought, a strange look on her face as she did. When she noticed the confused look on his face she held her slightly shaking hand back out and pointed to one of the diamonds. She fought the urge to touch her necklace and so did he, never before thinking that the gems themselves would be a hint as well. Instead of touching his necklace, George took Cosette's hand to look at her ring again, closer that time as if looking for clues. He was only greeted with the same jolt he always felt when she came in contact with him.

"Why'd you pick that pattern?" He asked, softly putting her hand back down.

He watched her face as she shrugged her shoulders slowly, her eyes seeming distant but focused on him at the same time. She saw him look up towards the door, and she did the same to see Fred walking into the common room with Angeline. He found them and came over, instantly asking Cosette thousands of questions about the gift she had gotten him. As much as she wanted to ask George why he thought she chose the pattern, she allowed Fred to change the topic, though George was all too aware when she adjusted a silver chain of her own.

That was the first he had even noticed that she wore a necklace, and for some reason, he was shook to the bone. If she worked that hard to hide a necklace the way she had, then it had to be a soulmate necklace, and that meant that there was a possibility that what he was thinking was true. He wanted to ask her then and there, but he knew he couldn't. Soulmates were just as taboo as the word Voldemort, so he couldn't just ask her flat out if he wasn't even sure yet. There were so many factors that he had yet to consider, and all he really had to go on was that her first name started with a C and that he was quickly falling head over heels for her and didn't mind at all.

He dismissed himself, saying that he was going to put his book away when really he just needed a moment alone to catch his head. It was going in a million different direction with one destination- her. She didn't even realize the way that she made him feel which frustrated him a little. Then and there he decided that he was going to make his move eventually, regardless of whether or not she ends up being his soulmate.

Considering that soulmates weren't something Fred normally thought about, he didn't think anything when she pulled the pendant end of her necklace into her hand and held it against her chest. The two of them had started going over their school work that they were to do over the holidays, so her eyes were focused on the pages of her textbook and she didn't even notice herself grabbing a hold to it. Later that night Fred thought back to the flash of silver and blue he had seen out of the corner of his eye, not quite sure whether or not it had come from her ring or not.