Wish You Were Here (18)

Upon everyone's return to their schools, it became clear that George was the only one comfortable with owling her. He was the only one that ever did, and he did it often. She understood why they were weird about it, it was because she didn't have a voice to associate the words with, and it wasn't anything she hadn't expected or assured them she was okay with. George didn't even seem phased by it, and when she asked him about it he gave a curious response. She had a voice in his head, he explained, and it was clear as day and perfect for her. He valued speaking to her too much to be phased by the fact that the voice wasn't really hers, he associated it with her so much that if he heard it in a crowd, he would be certain it was hers.

They all found out about the tournament as soon as they arrived at school, and were disappointed that Cosette's school would not be among those that attended. It was for good reason though, because, like most sports, the tournament would be mostly commentation. That didn't mean that they didn't wish she was there.

The school that Cosette attended was not a boarding school. Her days were the same as a muggle high school, where she went to school during the day on weekdays, and returned home every evening and stayed there on the weekends. Cosette somehow found herself at the burrow most afternoons helping Molly and Arthur around the house or just spending time with them when she could. They were bored and so was she, so it was a win-win situation. She and Molly spent most of their time in the garden, and her and Arthur attempting to fix whatever weird muggle thing he found at the flea markets he liked to go too. She enjoyed spending time with them, and that she was able to think of them as an extended family just as with their children.

Most Saturdays were reserved for meeting Fred and George in Hogsmeade, not that their parents knew considering more often then not, they had snuck there against the rules on days that weren't for trips to the town. Some days they would both go, and others they would take turns. The days she spent alone with George felt intimate of sorts, but that might have been because of the ever-growing feelings she had for him. They wanted to make plans for Christmas break and didn't understand why she had avoided the topic of it until Mcgonnagal gathered them in her cleared classroom for a meeting and they were told about the Yule Ball.

The only thing on his mind during the dancing lesson was if he could invite Cosette. He would love to have her there, especially as his date. She wasn't unfamiliar with the school, and she wouldn't be the only unfamiliar face there as there were already other schools attending such as Beauxbatons and Dumbstange. As soon as the lesson was over he followed after Mcgonnagal, not even stopping to explain to Fred where he was going and simply telling him to go ahead with Lee.

"Professor!" He said, finally catching up to her. She turned around with sharp eyes, noticing he was alone and feeling a considerable amount of nerves wash through her system.

"Mr. Weasley, how can I help you?" SHe asked cautiously.

"Is there a way that I could invite Cosette to the ball?" He asked, feeling anxious himself. Her cautious eyes softened and a grin formed on her face. "Cosette Lupin? She came here last year."

"I remember her," She stated, her voice giving away how pleased she was that he was asking. She walked into her office that he had stopped her at, and gestured for him to follow which he did quickly. She had never seen a Weasley follow instructions that well. "What school does she go to?"

"Daspits," He answered instantly, a little surprised he remembered so quickly. He watched her jot that down on a spare parchment scrap.

"Stop by in the morning, I'll have the form ready for both of you and your parents to sign," She said, interrupting the steady flow of thank yous coming from his mouth with a simple question that she was excited to hear the answer too. "Will she be attending as your date?"

"I have to see if she wants to go first," He said with a grin of excitement, "but hopefully."

Teachers liked to gossip, and the possibility that George and Cosette were soulmates had floated around often through the last year. Mcgonnagal was the one who hoped that the theory was correct the most. As a teacher, she could see how happy George was with Cosette when he thought no one was watching, and how with his friends he was rough and loud but was never anything but gentle and kind to her. He treated her as if she were the most important person in the world to him. She also saw how she did the same, and by what she heard from Remus, they were quite the pair together. The way George didn't hesitate to ask her if she could go, and the look on his face when he found that she could, was enough to solidify to her that even if the two of them weren't soulmates, they would end up together.

"Who are you going to ask to the ball?" Fred asked as soon as George got into his line of vision. It was dinner time, and all the surrounding girls visibly straightened up as if it would help them hear his answer.

"Cosette, I get the papers in the morning and I'll ask her tomorrow," He said with an effortless smile, "I went ask Mcgonnagal, that's why I disappeared."

"I should have known," He answered instantly. "Are you asking her to go with you as a friend or..."

George gave him a nervous grin which made Fred begin to cheer obnoxiously much to everyone around's dismay. He was nervous because he wasn't sure if she would want to go. Balls had music, and even though she loved to dance he wasn't sure if she would in public. She was a beautiful dancer, he found that out one day at her house when she asked him to dance with her when a slow song came on the radio she had put on for him while they sat around in her room.

He had turned it off and then told her a slow song was on. He wanted to dance with her and he wanted it to be the same for him as it was for her. She had trusted him to set the beat, which he did, and she kept up easily once he figured out how to lead her. They danced often, both of them enjoying being close and playing around with silly moves and spins and George never confessed that there was never any music.