Red Hot (29)

Just as all good things do, the mood at Grimulde place took a grim turn with the approach of the full moon. Remus could be found moping around the house clutching a mug of tea in his hands, and George was one of the few who noticed that Remus's mood had an effect on Cosette as well.  She hated to see her father that way after he had gotten blissfully used to having wolfsbane and suddenly found himself without it. Though, she could guess that on top of his wolf symptoms, it didn't help that he had a cold, one that he had passed to Cosette as well.

As soon as she started feeling sick, she attempted to distance herself from the others in fear of passing it to them. She was cold, snotty, and miserable and despite how much she longed for George to hold her, her will to keep him healthy was stronger. When Remus was able to score a bit of wolfsbane at the last minute, it didn't surprise them when she offered to accompany him to his house to ride out his transformation, not that the presence of wolfsbane mattered when it came to her. When in his wolf form, Remus never felt the urge to harm his daughter.

George wandered down to the dinner table that night feeling a strange weight in his chest, the same one he'd had since Cosette left that morning. He ignored it, smiling and joking along with his siblings until the weight got heavier, and he fell silent, eating his food and trying to figure out the cause of his bad feeling. He knew it had to do with Cosette and he just couldn't shake the worry.

"Where did Cosette and Remus go?" He asked Sirius curiously.

"Our house, the one we have together that isn't this hell hole,"  He answered, eyes scanning the room ruefully. "It's a full moon and Remus prefers to be away from unfamiliar children, just in case."

"Someone should go and check on her," He stated, grimacing and the sudden intensification of his worry. "Like now."

"There's no need to, even without the potion Remus would never harm her," He said, too confused by the way George was pressing his hand to his chest to be offended that he thought Remus would hurt her. Then, Sirius felt something too, in his chest. He always felt an uncomfortable pressure when Remus changed but this was different, this was fear. A red hot, burning bolt of fear. 

"Now!" He said loudly, fighting the panic that he felt inside. 

"George!" His mother scolded, but Sirius was already on his feet.

"No, Molly, he is right, something is wrong."

In Sirus's absence, George paced around his and Fred's bedroom nervously. He didn't want to worry them or have to explain how he knew that something wasn't right. Millions of possibilities ran through his head. The wolfsbane didn't work, or she fell and hurt herself. She was feeling sick before, maybe it was worse than he let on and she passed out. Death eaters had found them or worse, taken them.  All he could do was wonder.

Eventually, he moved back into the kitchen where his family was still sitting. They knew something was wrong and were waiting for news the same way he was. He couldn't sit down, not in the state that he was in. Pins and needles ran throughout his whole body and he could no longer think about what was going on with her. The thought of losing her was too painful to think of, especially because he had no clue what was happening. 

Upon arriving at the house, Sirus was greeted by the sounds of a wolf gone mad. Scraping, howling, breaking, it was a terrifying sound even from the outside of the door. He opened the door just slightly, shifting before entering the house that had suddenly gone quiet. His instincts told him to get Cosette out, the wolfsbane had failed and Remus had turned on her, but what he was greeted with was much more shocking than he had expected.

Authors note: Short chapter, but im hoping there will be more to come. Thank you so much for the support and for everyone who reached out to me. I LOVE YOU GUYS