Is It Worth It?(11)

Cosette was nervous about meeting Sirius, who was waiting just behind the door to the house. Her dad had gone inside and left her outside to go in when she was ready. She was worried that she wouldn't be able to think of him as her dad, no matter how much she wanted too. There was a certain bond that was felt between a parent and a child, and Sirus had the same worry in his head as he paced the living room.

"She already loves you," Remus assured him, taking his hand when he passed by his spot on the couch. "There's no need to be so nervous."

"Does she look like me or you?" He asked curiously. Remus had photos of her scattered around but he wanted to see her in person before he looked at the pictures so Remus had flipped them.

Remus went to answer him back but stopped when they heard Cosette's footsteps against the wooden porch outside. Her steps hesitated at the door, but that opened too after a moment. She ended up slamming it like she always did but that was because she forgets that it made noise when it closed, not because she meant too.

When she came into the room she stopped in the doorway, her eyes glued to Sirius. He looked exactly like she imagined him too- he looked like her dad. Not because he and Remus looked alike, but because of the feeling she got when she saw him. The feeling that she was scared wouldn't be there. Once his nervous face turned into a smile, hers did too. She didn't hesitate to put her bag down and go over to hug him.

Remus watched them hug feeling impossibly happy. He knew that Cosette would love him and knew that Sirius would start to cry, which he did shortly after she hugged him. Though, he didn't think Cosette would start crying too. She shrugged it off and pretending like she wasn't though when she pulled away from him with a smile. He left them after a little bit so that they could talk and catch up, deciding that Sirius was well enough at sign language to get on with her. It really was a coincidence that he already knew it, because Remus remembered how hard it was for he, Cosette and Lena to learn it.

Cosette stayed with them for two weeks before switching over to her mother's house right on time. Lena didn't know that Sirius was staying with them and they didn't plan on telling her so when it came time for Cosette to go Remus took her right there. He didn't want to risk Lena seeing him, because he wasn't sure if she would believe that Sirius was innocent without seeing the proof like he did. One thing that Cosette liked about being with her dads was that they didn't pester her about having a soul mate and having an inkling about who it was. They understood that it wasn't something that was discussed unless she wanted too. Lena, on the other hand, didn't have the same restraint and had asked her if she thought any more about it being George as soon as they sat down at the dinner table.

She didn't understand why talking about it caused her such distress, until she asked Remus about it. He explained to her that it was the 'fight or flight' response that came with having a soulmate and that it was completely normal. She was subconsciously protecting her mate, and that was one of the reasons that soulmates were so dangerous in the eyes of their enemies. They would do anything to protect the other, even if they weren't together. The same thing applied to the necklaces, which was why it was instinct to keep it as hidden as possible.

Sometimes Cosette wondered if having a soulmate was even worth it, but when she saw her fathers together she knew that it was. Her case was more extreme, considering that having a soulmate was the reason why she was deaf. She didn't hide her necklace as much as she should have when she was younger, and her parents didn't think that it would be a problem because they mainly stuck to muggle populated areas so they didn't tell her otherwise. They didn't know that an ex death eater would see it and decide to take matters into his own hands simply because he could.

The man had broken into Lena's house one night and found his way to Cosette's room, casting a spell on her so effective that they knew exactly who had done it, no matter how impossible. There was only one death eater that was so well at the spell, and he was supposed to have been in and also died in Azkaban. Cosette was never able to testify due to the amount of time it took for her to learn sign language, but her parent's theory was eventually confirmed when Remus picked up Cosette's sketchbook and saw the fact of Barty Crouch Jr.

The spell was one that placed a curse on her necklace, that took away one of her senses. It was used during the war as a way to trick the victim into taking their necklace off- which was the only way to break it- and since their soulmate had to be the one to do it, it was a way of getting both of the necklaces, which was a very powerful thing to have. If someone were to wear both necklaces then their power would double. There were many ways people had been affected by the spell- some were only affected a little, no longer being able to taste or smell, but others got the extreme end and lost their sight or their voice or in Cosette's case, their hearing.

She still dreamed about it sometimes. She woke up to see him standing over her, and when she went to scream he held her mouth shut. She was so scared that she didn't even think about the fact that he might hurt her if she tried anything, she just wanted her mom. She tried to run and he threw her, making sure to give her a few kicks while she was down and sending a few spells her way that she had no idea what they did. She was admitted to St.Mungos with several deep wounds that she still had the scars too that day and a mysterious case of hearing loss. They eventually came to the conclusion that he had cursed both her necklace and her wounds, which was why they could just heal her. 

The theory behind it being Barty Crouch Jr. came from the fact that he had branded her same as his other victims. The burn had taken a long time to heal, but she was left with an ugly stick figure snake on her left shoulder blade. He had done it with a spell, so the brand stuck wherever the spell had hit. She was glad it was on her back so that she didn't have to look at it. The older she got the less she understood how someone could do that to anyone, much less an eight-year-old.