LIII | The Walls I'd Built

It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

LIII | THE WALLS I'D BUILT

There's always that one point in our lives when we feel like we are at our highest point. Either in a negative way or a positive way. Sometimes, when bad things happen, the first person you are to blame is yourself. You start piecing every detail to understand what exactly went wrong, and where exactly did you fuck up.

I felt like I was at my highest point, but sadly, it wasn't in a positive way, it's kind of like the world was punishing me for all the bad deeds I had done and by doing that, they allowed one of the worst things that can happen to me.

"What?" Landon said in disbelief as those words left the doctor's mouth. I touched my heart immediately and felt how it was beating rapidly and it didn't look like it was going to stop any time from now.

I blinked a couple of times as I felt my legs began to become weak and I felt a hand steady on my waist.

"Violetta, come sit down," I heard Chase say as I was now being lead to a chair in the waiting room area.

As soon as I felt the cold surface of the chair, my vision immediately became unclear and blurry.

"Shh, it's okay," I felt Ronnie reassure me as she rubbed my back. But the truth was, it wasn't. It wasn't okay. For all we know, this might be the last time we will ever see Reece alive.

"How did this even happen?" I heard Ocean's shaky voice asked the doctor.

The doctor sighed and I looked up, making sure to wipe my tears first before another set began to fall.

"We do not exactly know, but from our files, it looks like Mr West came here about a few weeks ago," the doctor said scanning through a file.

"What!?" Mr West voiced snapped.

The doctor nodded and continued, "apparently he came here and checked himself in with a doctor, I am now just finding this out."

"Wait, what's the date he came to the hospital?" Landon asked and the doctor once again looked at his files.

"Hmm, around February 25th," he said.

"Wait, Violetta, wasn't that a week before your grandmother's wedding?" Laurianne asked.

My throat was already burning and I'm sure if I spoke it would come out broken so I only nodded, remembering Reece's words while we visited the campsite.

"Really, you're still smoking?" I frowned, he shrugged.

"I smoke when I'm stressed," he said and I scoffed.

"Babe, what could you possibly be stressed about?" I asked, concerned.

He gave me a smile that didn't reach his eyes. "Trust me, you wouldn't want to know," he said. I was about to ask him what he meant by that but got interrupted when everyone else joined us, sitting down with snacks and drinks.

I mentally groaned, there were so many signs, so, so many signs and I was idiotic enough to ignore them. I kept believing Reece's words. Every time he complained about a headache, I should have taken it more seriously than letting it slide. This was completely my fault.

"So you're tellin' me there's a slight chance my brother found out he had brain cancer a month ago and didn't even tell any of us?" Robin said, causing Mrs West to cry more.