» Chapter 35

---- From Chapter 34 ----

D: OKAY
D: I was hanging out with the fam, right? And outta nowhere poor, innocent, totally-faking-cluelessness Tim looks at Jason and says "What does BDSM stand for?" I choked on my drink and Babs was about to answer him right? Only, before she can an oblivious Jason slams his hands on the table and screams "BIBLE DISCUSSION AND STUDY MEETING"

----

Dick shielded his eyes from the sun by dropping a pair of expensive sunglasses into place over his vision, transforming the world to a dark tint, and turning away, looking back at the sleek shine of the car he had just exited. Barbara stepped out too, her converse sneakers clacking against the pavement as she let the door swing shut and joined him in waiting on the sidewalk.

A few moments later, Tim emerged from the other side of the car and nearly tripped in his effort to join them before Jason could catch the back of his oversized hoodie, holding a plastic cup filled with iced coffee. Jason rushed out after Tim quickly, slamming the car door shut.

The car peeled away from the sidewalk moments after, and the four of them were left standing on the sidewalk outside the city's mall. It was a rare sunny day in Gotham, and Alfred had quickly declared that they would not be spending it inside, so they were shipped off to spend the day together out of the house. Since Tim needed a new camera lens, and Barbara had been meaning to get a haircut, the mall became their set location.

The glass doors slid open automatically, exposing the endless traffic of people going from store to store, some with bags upon bags of items, and others just wandering aimlessly with friends. A few eyes glanced towards them briefly, just looking over at the sound of the doors opening, but other than that they were ignored and unrecognized.

Dick clapped his hands together, turning to the three other teens he was with. "alright, team, it's game time," he started, and he looked each of them over, analyzing, and getting serious and, in Tim's case, tired looks in return as they each stood at attention, before continuing, "Babs and I will head to the hairdressers, then the hardware store for undisclosed reasons." He waved off any questions.

"Tim!" said boy looked up with a sense of alarm at the sound of his name being shouted, as if he hadn't been paying attention, "You and Jason can go to the tech-store and wherever Jason needs to go."

Dick paused, and gave them a look, "Please don't spend all your money on coffee or cigarettes." They nodded obediently, in a way that showed they had no intentions of obeying, but Dick didn't bother pressing, lest they ask what he's going to get from the hardware store.

"We'll meet in the food court in two hours," he offered a solute, and they each returned the gesture with intensity before Dick clapped his hands again, a loud "break!" coming from his lips before they split up and started in opposite directions.

He felt Babs tense beside him momentarily, like she remembered something she had forgotten, and she spun on her heel quickly, nearly elbowing him in the process, "And no PDA," she yelled at the retreating backs of Jay and Tim.

Dick turned to see Jason with his arm already thrown over Tim's shoulders and leaning into his personal space but at Barbara's call, he sighed and dropped his head onto Tim's shoulder.

"So close!" he groaned, as if in mourning, and Dick stifled a chuckle, high fiving Barbara as they disappeared behind some large bush-like potted plants. She was his right-hand woman for a reason.

----

The electronic store was large, with sleek white tiles and a bad pop-song being played over various brands of speakers. Against the back wall, television's played a mix of commercials and an Ice Age movie at a low volume. Three out of four of the employees, looking almost as tired as Tim, alternated between sweeping the floor and staring off into the distance with a dead look.