13. Hopeful

Your eyes widened in shock. Making a 360 turn you make sure that no one was in the area to hear what he had just said. He raised an eyebrow at your reaction before realising what he had just said aloud, slapping his hand over his mouth.

"And I forgot to mention that you hate people talking about it and saying it aloud," he sighs.

"I do apologize for that, I'm lucky no one was around to hear." You let out a long breath, thankful that no one had heard him.

"So, where is the old man?" you ask. The guy bites his lip, obviously nervous.

"He's actually in the hospital at the moment." Your eyes widened in shock, sure the guy was old but he told you he was perfectly healthy and he wasn't frail or weak at all.

"What happened?" you ask, hoping it was nothing serious.

"Heart attack, he was at the store when it was happening so he was lucky people were there to call the paramedics," he continues. You fiddled with the case on your phone as you worried about the old man, he had always been there for you while you were growing up and even let you play the games in the arcade for free. He was an amazing man with so many stories of his adventures and about his wife and family. Those were your favourite to hear, he talked about his one son and two daughters. Sometimes you would even pretend he had three daughters and you were one of them. You'd insert yourself into the stories and pretend that you were apart of his family.

"Do you think I could visit?" you ask. The guy nods, chuckling quietly.

"Of course, I'm quite busy with working during the week and running the arcade during the weekend, but I'm heading down to the hospital on Monday. I can pick you up and take you there with me if you'd like." Your face lit up at the sound of that, feeling excited you jumped in excitement.

"That would be great! Are you sure you wanna take me? I don't want to inconvenience you in any way." He shrugs his shoulders, sending you a friendly wink.

"Don't worry, kid. The old man wants to see you too." Before you got the chance to respond you heard someone call your name.

"(Y/n)!" You turned to see Kaidou approaching you with a drink in each hand. Once he was close enough he handed you your drink, his empty hand immediately reaching for the back of his neck.

"They seemed to have run out of the flavour I wanted so I ended up getting the same as you." You giggled and cracked open the can, turning to see the guy still sitting behind the counter.

"The name's Nitori by the way," he says, "I'd love to continue our chat but I wouldn't want to keep your date waiting." Hearing him call Kaidou your date made your cheeks tint pink.

"W-we aren't on a date," you mutter, embarrassed. Nitori smirks before winking and poking out his tongue at the two of you.

"I'm just yanking your chain. Anyway, I'll message you before I come and pick you up. You live on-." You cut him off by loudly clearing your throat.

"You know where to pick me up, anyway we're gonna head back to the games so I'll see you on Monday. Bye!" You grab onto Kaidou's wrist and pull him back into the rows of arcade games, letting out a sigh of relief once Nitori was no longer visible.

"What was that about? Do you know that guy? Why are you seeing him on Monday?" Kaidou questioned, seeming worried.

"Oh, don't worry about it. The old man who used to run the arcade is that guy's dad, he offered to take me to see him in the hospital," you explained. Kaidou's expression softened.

"O-Oh, sorry for jumping to conclusions. I thought he was harassing you or something." You smiled softly at him, releasing his wrist.

"Sorry for grabbing at your hand again, it's a habit of mine." He chuckles quietly.