25. Perfect timing

"What is that supposed to mean?" Yumehara asks, sipping at her drink. Mikoto clicked her tongue as she lent back in her seat.

"It's obvious, she's an orphan." Teruhashi looked down at the table sadly.

"I feel bad now, she's probably really self conscious about it. Has Kaidou ever mentioned knowing an orphan or being friends with one?" she asked. Yumehara shook her head.

"Maybe you could ask Kuboyasu, Saiki or Hairo. There's no point asking Nendou, if he knew then I'm sure the rest of the school would too," Mikoto sighed, filing her long, painted nails. The orange-haired girl felt guilty after invading your privacy but also a small amount of confidence.

"If I want Kaidou to like me I'm gonna have to hang out with him and show him that I'm better than her. My past relationships haven't worked out and I'm not ready to give up on Kaidou yet. I'll just show him that I'll be a good girlfriend," Yumehara enthused. Her friends nodded, both of them smiling.

"I'm glad that you're taking the high road, Chiyo. But remember that you're only showing him how good you can be, don't put her down in any way. I know that you like Kaidou a lot but taking that road wouldn't be very noble of you," Teruhashi warned. She nodded in response, smiling back at her friends as she agreed.

---------------------------------------------------

The next day at school, Yumehara turned up early. When she got there she met up with Chisato in the hall and walked with her to class. At this point, school hadn't started so they had plenty of time to talk as she waited for the baby blue-haired boy to show up. At one point, Chisato left her side to finish a packet of chips someone had left on their desk. Now being alone, she pulled her phone from her pocket, beginning to play on it out of boredom.

Barely five minutes went by before she was distracted by the sound of the classroom door opening. Kaidou entered with Hairo and Kuboyasu, the purple and red heads talking while Kaidou followed silently behind them. Recognizing the opportunity, she stood and hurried to the blue-haired boy's side.

"Kaidou," she called, catching his attention. He sent her an awkward smile, waving.

"Uh, good morning, Yumehara," he greeted. Without saying another word, she grabbed onto his arm and began leading him out of the classroom. He questioned what she was doing while she ignored his questions, pulling him to an area where there were no active classes.

"Huh? Yumehara? What's all this about?" he asks, looking around for an visual explanation. She smiled up at him, trying not to weird him out.

"Sorry, I just wanted to ask you something privately," she apologizes, bowing her head. He quickly shakes his head, waving his hands to stop her.

"There's no need to bow, it's fine." Yumehara couldn't help but smile at the sight of his blush, proud of herself for causing such a reaction. There was a moment of silence before Kaidou decide to speak.

"So uh, what did you want to ask me?" Her face heated up as she remembered the reason she dragged him over here.

"Well, I was wondering if you going to cram school this afternoon?" He tapped his chin as he thought, shaking his head a moment later.

"Not today."

"Okay since you're free, do you want to hang out after school?" she asked smiling widely up at the boy. His blush grew darker, his bandage-wrapped hand reaching for the back of his neck.

"Uh okay," he replied nervously. Yumehara's smile grew even bigger, the bell stopping her from saying anything else. Kaidou turned in the direction of their classroom.