32. The King and Queen (Final chapter)

Kaidou looked down at you with an expression of concern. His hand reached up and cupped your cheek, thumb running beneath the dark bruise which marked your eye. He also noticed something else, the skin around your eyes being a light pink.

"Have you been crying?" he asked, not stuttering this time. You shied away, letting go of him but not moving from your spot. You looked up at him and noticed how worried he looked, hand moving from your cheek and up to your hair line where there was a graze, now hardened over and forming a scab. He didn't touch it, instead, he pushing your hair back to get a better look.

"Are you okay?"

Normally one would say "I'm fine" or "There's nothing to worry about" but you didn't want to come up with an excuse. You were done with all of this running, so much so that you did something very bold. You grabbed Kaidou by the cheeks and pulled him to your face, pressing you lips against his. His eyes widened as your closed, a blush covering both of your cheeks.

A moment later, you pulled back and looked away from him, eyes on the ground.

"No, I'm not okay, Shun," you admit.

"I'm so conflicted with my feelings and whenever I begin to understand, I run away." He continues to stare at you, still unresponsive.

"I know that you probably don't feel the same and all, but I wanted to tell you anyway. I'm tired of running and pushing you away. I'm sorry for the things I said to you last night, I didn't mean any of it. I still want to be your friend... well something like that anyway. I like you a lot, I mean a lot. Whenever we're together I feel different, it's something I've never experienced before and I can only assume that this feeling is love." When he remained silent, you heaved out a long sigh.

"I was gonna go out and find you, y'know. I played Lunar fields till the early morning and fell asleep at my desk. When I woke up, I saw that I was level 499. Unbelievable, right? It's only one away from invincibility in the game yet I haven't gotten it. It didn't feel right to continue, so I didn't. And this morning, it made me really upset. Thinking about all the things I said to you and the fact that I pushed you away when you were the person I cherished the mos-st." Your voice cracked at the end as your eyes glossed over as they had done earlier that afternoon. As tears threatened to fall, you were enveloped in Kaidou's arms. It was a surprise but you immediately returned the embrace immediately. Your thoughts were still racing.

Did he just feel sorry for you? Was it guilt for not feeling the same that drove him to hug you?

But his next words disproved all of your negative thoughts.

"I love you, (Y/n)."

Your body relaxed into his arms. Tears did fall but the emotion behind them changed. At first you were crying because of guilt and sadness but now these were tears of joy, happiness and the relief of having Kaidou reciprocate your feelings. A kiss was pressed to your forehead as Kaidou pulled back, his cheeks red.

"You don't have to say anything else, you know. All I wanted was to make sure you're okay and tell you I feel. I went to the orphanage to see you and confess but that lady said you weren't and you wouldn't be coming back. Then while I walked around town, Tsume saved me from getting hit by a car and bought me a drink at the cafe you used to work at to try and calm my nerves. I confessed everything to him and in the end he gave me your address and here I am," he explained, his blush remaining.

"But like I said, I do uh l-love you. And I'm just as inexperienced with this as you are, so you aren't alone. I've never felt like this for anyone before, I guess I might've had crushes in elementary and middle school but nothing compares to this. I think about you a lot and you could definitely find someone a lot better than me but uh, do you want to be my girlfriend?" He didn't let go of you, burying his face in your shoulder out of embarrassment.