16. Understandings

You didn't want to leave, you wished to stay and talk with the two of them forever. It was a shame that the hospital had specific visiting hours, they were pretty short too. Walking out of the room and waving to the old man made you feel like crying. You didn't want to say goodbye, to you, goodbye was always a bad thing.

The tears welled in your eyes as you walked towards the elevator but you held them back, this wasn't the first time you had done this. School was hell for you and so you learned how to control your emotions, now no one could make you cry. You were the only one who could stop it.

Taking a deep breath, you entered the elevator behind Nitori and stood beside him inside. The two of you remained silent on the journey down, the hum of elevator music making the silence between the two of you more obvious. To distract yourself, you began looking around the small metal room, your eyes stopping on Nitori's hand. You smiled lightly at the memory of walking towards the old man's room and holding his hand, it was comforting. Without thinking, you took his hand and continued to act as if nothing bothered you. Nitori's hand returned your hold, has face turned in your direction.

"Holding someone else's hand is relaxing, right? It mreminds you that you're not alone." You couldn't agree more but didn't give a reply. The double doors opened and the two of you left the elevator, walking past the receptionist without sparing her a glance.

Leaving the hospital, you walked towards the car and both got in. The sun looked as if it were about to set, painting the sky a mixture of pink and orange.

"Do you wanna get something for dinner before I drop you off?" Nitori asks. You pull your phone from your pocket before nodding your head.

"The other's would've already eaten by now and I don't want to eat alone," you admit. He lets out a quiet hum as he starts up the car, beginning to drive in the direction of somewhere to eat.

It didn't take long to get there, time in the car seemed to go by quickly. Nitori had taken you to a diner not too far from the hospital, it seemed like he was as desperate for food as you. Taking a booth inside, the two of you told the waitress your choice of meal before sitting in silence as you waited.

Nitori seemed to have gotten sick of the silent atmosphere. His voice caught your attention, making you look up at him.

"Kid, talk to me. As soon as we got out of the hospital you've said barely anything, is something wrong? You can tell me anything, y'know? I've got no one to tell," he says. You shrug your shoulders, leaning back in your seat.

"There's nothing I have to say." With a sigh, Nitori leans his elbows on the table and rests his chin in his hands.

"It's about your past, isn't it?" You don't reply, confirming his question.

"Well, I can see that you won't talk so maybe I will. You need to know that you aren't the only one hurting, so you better listen up." Normally you would've found amusement in his announcement but you remained emotionless. You nodded your head and kept your eyes on him as he began to talk.

"I don't live here, to be honest, I lived in another city on the other side of Japan. My life was perfect, I had a well-paid job and a beautiful, loving fiance. I just had one problem, I couldn't have children. It was something genetic which stops me from being able to have kids, I hate it since I always wanted to have kids with my fiance.

So when my fiance announced she was pregnant I couldn't be happy, if I couldn't get her pregnant then it was obviously someone else. I stayed to support her, I didn't want to leave her alone when she was in need of help. Even though I acted like I was the father, I knew I wasn't and over time, even though I started off heart broken, I feel out of love with her.