15. Visitors

The drive to the hospital didn't take as long as you expected it to and when you arrived you felt excited. It had been a while since you had seen the old man and you couldn't wait. Once the car stopped, you were the first to get out. Nitori could see just how happy you were to be here due to the large smile which stretched across your face. He had seen one similar to it when you were at the arcade, at the time you had been playing on one of the arcade machines with Kaidou. It warmed his heart knowing that this time he was the one who could make you smile this bright, his life up until now hadn't been all smiles. Your smile seemed to help relieve some of his built up stress and get him to have a little fun.

Now with matching smiles, you entered the hospital through the glass front doors and walked up to the reception. A woman sat behind the front desk, typing on the keyboard of her computer. She seemed to be busy but halted her work to pay you both attention.

"How may I help you today?" she asks sweetly. Now catching a glimpse of Nitori her cheeks flushed red. The blue-eyed male didn't pay any mind to it and cut to the chase.

"I'm here to visit my father, Masahiro Yoshida," he says. With a quick nod, the woman returns to her computer, searching for the name. Her face lights up when she sees the name on screen.

"I've found his room, it's on the third floor. I can take you there if you'd like," she offers, already standing and ready. Nitori chuckles at her eagerness but shakes his head.

"It'll be fine if you just give me the room number, thanks." She pouts, obviously not too happy with his choice. Her eyes then drift to you, the expression on her face showing how displeased she was with your presence. She then looks back to Nitori, a fake smile stretched across her heavily made-up face.

"I'm sorry, sir. We only allow the family of the patients to visit at this time. The girl will have to leave or stay in the waiting room while you visit." He smiles back at the woman, resting one of his hands on top of your head.

"What are you talking about? She is family, this is my daughter." Hearing that made your day, even though you knew it was just to get the receptionist off your backs you could at least pretend it was true. The woman looked down at you, her eyes asking you for the truth. In response, you gave a determined nod. She sighs and lets her eyes move back to her computer screen as she sits down.

"The patient is in room 203," she mutters, not bothering to put on the fake happy act anymore. With a wave, the two of you were off down the corridor and into the elevator. Once you were inside and heading up to the third floor you could only wonder what condition the old man was in. You hoped that he would be alright and well enough to speak since you wanted to tell him about Lunar fields. It had been over a month since you had last seen him, the reason being that you were so busy and couldn't find the time or money to go to the arcade. You spent a lot of money on games online so you couldn't pay, you hated to expect free games from the old man even though he allowed it often.

You walked behind Nitori, almost afraid of what you were going to find. He looked confident with how he walked, not even sparing a thought to the fact that the old man could've possibly died. You counted the numbers of the doors, each time growing closer to room 203. Nitori noticed how nervous you had become and slowed his pace, now beginning to walk beside you.

"Hey, there's no need to get so worked up. Take a couple of deep breaths and you'll be fine," he assured, offering his hand to you. You didn't hesitate to take it, this was something that you urgently needed. The feeling was amazing and you couldn't help but enjoy yourself. It reminded you of when you were younger and got to spend time with your parents, they always held your hands and told you they would never let go. The smile you hadn't even realised you had disappeared in an instant, you were glad that Nitori hadn't noticed it.

Within a minute, the two of you had reached room 203. Nitori released your hand and opened the door, holding it open so you could enter first. The room was small and smelt sterile. There was also very little furniture, a small table, a singular chair and the bed which the old man lay upon. He seemed to be hooked up to many different machines, they were the cause of the never-ending hum and beeping which filled the room.

"Dad, I bought a guest," Nitori announces, gathering the old man's attention. He seemed to be staring off into space when the two of you had arrived, not knowing of your presence until Nitori spoke. Masahiro's eyes drifted to his son and then to you, a surprised expression forming on his wrinkled face.

"How did you know I was in the hospital?" he asks, his voice croaky and worn out. You weren't surprised by the question, you hadn't been into the arcade in a while. You quickly bowed.

"I'm sorry I haven't visited the arcade lately," you apologize, "I've been playing a new game online." He chuckles, stopping when his laughter turns to rough coughs.

"It's fine, I know that you worked hard to get that computer. I'm not surprised you're spending so much time on it, Haruka-san told me all about it last time I saw her. She said you'd spend lunchtimes doing homework just so you would have more time you play your new game." You give an embarrassed nod, you weren't too happy that people knew about that. Some may call it an addiction but you didn't think of it like that, it wasn't. In the beginning, you were in love with it for the little things like the art style and game mechanics but once you met Kaidou you began to love it even more. Who knew that you could meet someone so amazing online?

"Yeah... It's been fun though. I even made a friend through it, we meet in real life not that long ago. He's really nice, we're gonna hang out again soon," you enthuse. This time it seemed like Nitori had a bigger reaction. He chuckled and lent up against the wall, pointing to the chair next to the bed.

"Why don't you sit down and continue talking? I'll get us a drink." You nod and watch as he leaves the room to find a vending machine. Masahiro lets out a quiet groan and adjusts his position on the bed.

"I hope my son isn't being an idiot." You giggle and shake your head.

"Nope, he's actually been very good to me. When I went to the arcade on the weekend he was there. I asked him about you because I hadn't seen him before, he told me what happened and that you were in the hospital. He brought me here because the journey would've been too long since I don't have anyo-" You stopped yourself before you could finish. The old man let out a sigh and closed his eyes.

"Nitori is a kind yet naive man, he's too trusting and ends up getting hurt because of it." You were confused by this but allowed him to talk.

"He's been this way ever since he was a child, I just hope that nothing bad happens to him out there. His mother is gone and I'm the hospital, also his older brother and sister are living their lives with their own families and such. If anything were to happen to him there wouldn't be anyone to look out for him, he's the runt of the pack. It's not that he's not cared for, he just lets people walk all over him, that idiot," he continued. Even though it sounded harsh, you could see the care he had for his son, not only were you warmed by his loving words but also envious of such a caring father.

A moment later, Nitori returned with a drink in each hand. He handed one to you, it was the same flavour as the one you had gotten at the arcade. Nitori then sat at the end of his father's bed and the two began talking. You didn't mind that you weren't involved at first, it almost made you feel like the little sister. Eventually, you were able to join in and be involved in their conversation. They asked you about your grades and your new friend, everything a parent should ask their child in order to make them feel somewhat important. You loved the feeling, even if artificial, you could pretend that this was your family.

I love the old guy already, wasn't too sure what to name him so I just did whatever. Anyway, the next chapter is going to have some interesting stuff in it. I promise that Kaidou will be back soon as well. Vote and follow me for more. Thank ya XD