29. Sorry

Everyone noticed a change in Kaidou's behavior. His sister noticed that he was silent and she didn't have to yell at him to shut up. His mother noticed that he didn't stutter or panic, he was submissive and immediately did as he was asked in a sluggish fashion. His brother noticed that he wasn't as hyper and energetic, it was as if he turned into another person.

When he got to school, he stayed silent and let his friends talk without giving any input. Hairo tried to fire him up with all his hero talk but it didn't work. Nendou and Kuboyasu joined in, but nothing helped. Out of everyone there, only three of them knew what had happened. Kaidou, who had experienced it. Saiki, who could read the blue-haired boy's mind and Yumehara, who felt guiltier than ever.

It was currently lunch time and the group of boys sat around a table, Hairo was missing since he went off to do push ups or something. The spectacled boy eyed his friend suspiciously, wanting to know what was bothering him.

"Why are you so quiet today, runt?" Nendou asked before Kuboyasu could, his pinky finger digging into his ear. The wanna-be hero sighed, keeping his eyes glued to the table.

"Nothing," he responded, not wanting to talk about it. But that didn't stop him from being pestered, both Kuboyasu and Nendou asked him questions until Kaidou couldn't stand it any longer. He hid his face in folded arms on the table, trying to hide his frown. Saiki eyed the boy, only saying one word to trigger them all.

"(L/n)." Kuboyasu's head shot up, finger pointing at Kaidou.

"That's it, did that girl reject you or something?" he asked rather loudly. A lot of people in the cafeteria turned to look at them Kaidou's face turning red. He was glad he had hidden it or else they would've seen his embarrassment. Once everyone went back to what they were originally doing, Kaidou gathered the courage to sit up properly. His face was flushed yet his melancholic expression remained.

"No..." he muttered quietly, purposefully keeping his voice down. At this point, he just wanted to go home and hide beneath the blankets of his bed. The purple-haired teen suddenly felt guilty for asking such a forward question, he seemed to have a general idea of what his friend's distress was about but no clue as to what it was specifically. Kaidou noticed the worried looks he was receiving from his friends.

"Last night (Y/n) told me she didn't want to be friends any more," he said. They all seemed surprised, except for Saiki, who's face remained the same.

"Huh, do you know why?" Kuboyasu asked, trying to hold his curiosity back. Kaidou shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't know why but it's probably because of what happened when I saw her walking home. She was pretty messed up, her school uniform was torn and when I approached I noticed that she had a black eye. I called out to her but as soon as she saw me, she started running. I got really worried and wanted to know what had happened so I chased after he, only stopping when she entered a building. It was an orphanage."

"So is your girlfriend a orphan or something?" Nendou asked with a mouth full of food. Kaidou ignored what he had called you and nodded.

"Yeah, that night she messaged me and said that she didn't want anything to do with me."

"Well, what are you pouting about?!" Hairo yelled, harshly patting Kaidou on the back. He was thrown forward from the sudden impact, his ribs hitting the table. He rubbed them as they ached, turning to look back at the red-head.

"If you like her so much, you shouldn't give up on her. You have to keep fighting, get up and go after her!" he announced, pumping his fist in the air. Kaidou didn't feel the eyes on him this time, he was too preoccupied with thoughts of you. Were you okay? Did you really mean what you had said the previous night?

He didn't believe it, that wasn't something you would do. You were always having fun whether you were playing Lunar fields, at the arcade or cafe. Every time he was with you he saw how amazing and kind you were. Your words last night were so out of character, it was as if someone had taken over your account and he was talking to someone else. They spoke in just a dead, emotionless fashion as if they truly were a reaper.

A second later, he looked up, his frown replaced with a determined smile.

"I'm gonna do it!" he announced, pumping his fist in the air like Hairo had done seconds earlier. His friends seemed happy to see his change in mood, now he looked like he had hope and wasn't moping around anymore. They dealt with his strange enthusiasm and ranting about how he was going to see you after school.

-----------------------------------

Kaidou wore his smile for the rest of the day. He walked down the same streets as he had done yesterday and towards the orphanage he knew you lived in. He didn't care about your family or where you came from, he liked you for you and nothing would change his mind.

He walked up to the door and took a deep breath before knocking loudly. He made sure to wait a little while after school to make sure that it would be a time you'd be there. A moment later, he heard footsteps approaching the door. The lock on the door clicked as it was unlocked, a middle-aged woman opening it and staring down at the blue-haired boy.

"Can I help you with something, dear?" she asked politely. He nodded, his smile remaining.

"Uh yes, could I please see (Y/n)?" he asked, confident that you'd be there. She sighed, shaking her head.

"I'm sorry but (L/n) isn't here." Kaidou was shocked that you weren't there but played it off as well as he could.

"Oh, when will she be back?" The woman fiddled with the skirt of her dress, tucking some loose hair behind her ear to distract herself.

"I'm sorry to tell you this, but (L/n) doesn't live here anymore."

He wouldn't admit it aloud but he was hurt, it was as if his heart had broken in two. All that he knew about your location was that you were supposed to live there. Now he had not contact or knowledge of your whereabouts.

"Where is she now?" he asked, sounding desperate. The woman scratched her head as she tried to think but it was no use, the sad expression on her face showed her lack of knowledge.

"I'm sorry, dear. I haven't got a clue." Kaidou bowed his head to the woman and walked away, letting his legs carry him anywhere as his mind drifted off.

I get so much support and I'm very grateful for it. Also wanted to point out that someone was being very hateful about Nitori being bi and generally being homophobic and biphobic. Their account was taken down for harassment so I no longer need to deal with that, thank you to everyone that was there and chipped in to stop them. Just wanted to say that if you're gonna be hateful, do it somewhere else cause we won't stand for that. Thank you <3