Four · · · Ophryn

Aca Forests, Casta, Pezda

HEADLIGHTS MADE AN EERIE GLOW IN OPHRYN TENET'S WINDOW. It was the zumo flyers. They had finally gotten here, but it was almost midnight. That's when the Pent said they were going to attack. He rubbed his forehead in frustration. Ophryn had to get Mell off Pezda. If he didn't, she, or him, wouldn't be alive to tell the tale.

Ophryn knocked on his room's window, which was covered in raindrops, and yelled to one of the guards, "When are we going to leave?"

One of the Castan soldiers turned to glare at him but returned back to his post with a smug look on his face. The Castan soldiers were very brave, strong, or skilled in a fight, but they acted like it. The Castan's looked small, and were small, but that only added to their personality. They were stubborn and ordered everyone around even if they weren't royalty. That's what attracted him to Mell.

Mell was different. She was taller than the rest, with dark brown skin like a pure Castan and thick black hair. She even wore her hair differently than most Castans, which was usually the one braid down the back. She put her hair in three different braids with one above each ear and one at the back of the head. It looked silly when he first saw it, but then noticed it was her sign of indifference.

Mell was also nicer than the rest and more prone to trust. As the story goes, the Pent was said to be rebels and betray the hierarchy. The Pezdans, now Castans, pushed the Pents to the ocean and helped them build their cities so they would never have to see the Pents again. This caused distrust amongst the Castans who only trusted people of dark skin.

Ophryn grunted and started pacing again. He jumped when a knock sounded at his door. He ran over to the door and found Mell just about to open it.

She was surprised so she stepped back and said, "We are ready. Do you have a bag to pack?"

Ophryn scoffed, "No. Technically, your people kidnapped me."

Mell rolled her eyes. Somehow her independence attracted him to her even more.

"I was just wondering," she muttered. Mell's back straightened and said, like an order, "Your sitting with me in a zumo flyer. At least, I convinced my parents. I didn't want to ride in a stuffy flyer for a three-hour journey with them. They would talk my ear off. Plus, I would get to know you more."

"Would we be by ourselves?" Ophryn asked.

"Well, there would be a soldier in the driver's seat and another in the passenger seat with two more sitting on the back of the flyers if we need protection."

Ophryn shook his head. "I don't think they would protect me."

Mell pouted, but then it bloomed into a smile and she said halfheartedly, "I think they would."

"Why?"

"Because I would order them too," she said confidently. "Now come. We should leave."

Mell turned around and the only thing Ophryn could do was follow her.

Ophryn nodded. "That's the only correct thing you said all day."

Mell turned her head to glare at him.

They walked underneath the palms and aca trees with their vines dangling on their heads. Ophryn kept swatting them away, but Mell didn't seem to care. The vines passed over her head, taking out little pieces of hair.

A few steps later, the zumo flyer came into view. They were poorly painted and colored green, brown, and black meant to blend in the jungle with surroundings. To Ophryn, it wasn't working, he could see them clear as day and so were the cabins. That was probably how the Pent were able to find the royal family and their princess.