Three · · · Tapalla (.4)

Monta was right. The little cabin did look like a shed from the outside. Its door had a little window on its top half and there was one window on either side of the cabin.

The inside of the cabin was completely different. It held a couch, stove for cooking food, a cabinet containing silverware, a small table containing two chairs, and a queen bed in the back room with large rug and extra elckon blankets and pillows. It was quaint but convenient with a small light fixture just above the door.

Looking out the window, Tapalla could see the sky was now gray, almost black. Night time was nearing. That meant Monta would have to stay the night and leave in the morning.

Monta threw his bag on the table and pulled out extra packets of food and an elckon blanket for warmth. In the side pocket of his bag, Tapalla watched him pull out a box of matches. He lit one and three in the fireplace that sat next to the couch. The match and burnt out, so he stuffed extra paper he found on the floor in between the already burnt wood. He lit another match and this time the wood caught fire making the small cabin a hundred times warmer.

"There's a closet in the back corner," he said pointing to where the bed was. "It holds extra matches, another pillow, lanterns, maybe food, but that's most likely in the cabinets along with the plates and silverware. There are guns in there if you ever get the need to go out hunting for food. Also and as to cut wood, which there is woodpile at the back of the cabin, though it might be wet."

"That's okay," said Role. He took his bag and set it down on the bed. Then he took his wife's bag and did the same thing. "I know your father worked hard on this place. What type of guns do have in the closet?" he asked, walking over to it.

Monta ran up behind him as he opened it. "Well, ones a hunting rifle. There's two actually. One's my dad's and one's mine. They shoot silver constant metal bullets from about two hundred feet within accuracy."

Role nodded, taking one of the rifles from its shelf. "These are nice. A lot nicer than the ones on Lotna. How many bullets can you put in it at a time?"

"Three, I think," Monta said. "They are also automatic."

"That will be nice." Role put the rifle back and pulled out a small pistol. "What's this?"

"It's my dad's pistol. Also automatic," Monta replied.

"Good. What does it shoot?"

Monta grabbed a little bag that was on one of the top shelves. "This holds the pistol bullets. They are made of constant metal, but when activated, after you pull the trigger, they open up and produce small bronze blades. It can kill the deer instantly, wherever you hit it."

"Nice," Role said putting the gun back after taking one quick examination.

"Will you be sleeping here tonight?" Meela asked Monta.

"Yup. I'll sleep on the floor by the couch. Tapalla can sleep on the couch and you guys can sleep on the bed."

"No, no," Tapalla said adding her voice into the conversation. "Monta I'll let you sleep on the couch."

Monta shook his head. "No. Your sleeping the couch. I'll be comfortable enough on the floor."

"But I want-" Tapalla started to say.
"Stop it, Tapalla," Meela said. "Let the boy be a gentleman."

Feeling defeated, Tapalla set her bag on the couch. She watched her parents recede to the back room and have a quiet conversation. Part of her wanted to eavesdrop, but the other part of her wanted to leave them be and fall asleep. All of sudden her stomach growled. She was hungry but too tired to get up.

Monta walked over to Tapalla and sat on the couch next to her. He handed her some maron root and she took it from him politely.

"If someone comes here," he started to say, a serious expression on his face, "I want you to use the pistol."

Tapalla could feel her face turn orange. She was nervous. "Uh, ya right Charmer." A nervous laugh erupted from her lips.

"It's not funny, Tapa." Worry covered his almost transparent eyes. "I know you haven't told me the full story, but I know someone is coming after you guys. I don't don't want you to be helpless. I'll teach you how to fire the gun in the morning, but promise me you will use it if necessary."

Tapalla gulped. "I promise."