Twenty-One · · · Monta (.3)

The transport harbor was huge. Monta saw people everywhere as most turned to stare at them. When they walked into the large glass building, outlined in silver constant metal, Monta saw people in line getting tickets for flights to other cities on Gazar. Some people were even buying tickets to other planets such as Tries.

As they got closer to the back of the building, people sat in rows of seats waiting for their numbers to be called so they could board a transport or O.R. flyer to whatever destination they were going to. Monta's group passed all of them, with Jastka still in the lead, walking them into one of the building's side doors that read: NO ENTRY.

Passed the door was a flight of stairs that descended until they came to another door that led into the light of day. The runway was quiet, except for the flyers who flew off into the distance. Ips away, Monta could see O.R. flyer waiting for them to take them to Ablatin. Wind blew through his hair as he ascended the steps into the flyer.

Never before had Monta noticed how scared he was of flying until now. He had only been on a few transport flyers in his life to Gayoa and now it was his first time flying outside the planet's atmosphere. When he looked at Ray and Chaka he noticed the same expressions. They've never left the city of Mayno, let alone the atmosphere. Tapalla was the only one among them who had flown from one planet to another, given that she was escaping with her life at age ten.

As the boarded the plane, Monta was about to follow Ray, Chaka, and Tapalla into the tan leather seats in the back when Jastka took his arm and pulled him aside.

"What are you doing," Monta asked, taking a glance at the Payfil's expensive, lavish O.R. flyer. It was beautiful with many windows to look out into the clouds and a table with a mini fridge to hold many delicious drinks. Monta wanted to sit back there with his friends, even if one of them didn't really like him at the moment.

"I want you to sit the cockpit with me?" Jastka said smiling as his soldiers took their seats.

"Why?" Monta asked, dumbfounded. He took a few steps back, scared at what Jastka told him. Monta wasn't ready to help fly a flyer into outer space. Monta never even wanted to learn how to drive a regular transport flyer. "I don't I can."

Jastka winked at Monta. "I didn't save you that princess for nothing against that metal Night Warrior. Now it's your turn learning how to be a soldier. After all, my buddy Chanta told me that your pala sent you with Tapalla so you could protect her. You can't protect her if you don't know how to fly one of these babies," Jastka exclaimed as he slapped the wall of the O.R. flyer making Monta jump.

Monta shook his head vigorously. "No, I can't do this. Can't I just protect her like a normal person and get her away from the dangerous situations by zumo flyer? I know how to drive one of those."

Jastka only laughed him and patted Monta's shoulder. "You're hilarious kid. Going to another city doesn't always help at those times. Sometimes you'll need to be a man and take on an O.R. flyer. Whether you, or Tapalla, likes it or not, you're her guardian now. She needs you just as much as you need her."

Monta took another step back, shrugging Jastka's hand off his shoulder. "I don't know about that, but you're starting to sound a lot like my pala."

"That's probably because I am one," Jastka said, still smiling. For a second, his eyes drifted off into another reality, until he snapped back into place with his eyes on Monta. "I used to have a kid of my own. He was your age once, now he's all grown up and adult-like, but when he was your age I always gave him advice just like I'm giving you now. If I were you, I'd take it. I have a sense for when people need it."

Monta quirked an eyebrow at him. "Uh, did your dana not take it or something?"

Jastka shook his head. "Oh no, he took my advice which led him into falling in love with a girl who became his wife and his ability to land his dream job in Mayno."