Ten · · · Mell

Aca Forests, Casta, Pezda

TO LOOK INTO THE EYES OF THE WOLFA, almost made Mell want to pass out. In the back of her mind, Mell could hear a soft voice. The sound of a child. The sound of a young girl.

Cossandra, the voice whispered again to depths of her mind.

When Mell looked back at Ryn, she could tell that he was frightened and oblivious to the fact that this beast was gentle even though she kept telling him the same thing over and over again.

"They're gentle," Mell repeated to him. A little light-headed, Mell slowly walked over to Ryn and said, "It's okay Ryn. Cossandra won't hurt you."

"How do you know," he asked, fear wavering in his voice.

"I can communicate with her, silly," she answered. "I thought I already told you."

"You did," Ryn gulped, "but it just seems impossible to talk to a wolfa through its eyes. Its eyes."

Mell turned back to the wolfa. You won't hurt us, will you? she asked Cossandra.

The wolfa bobbed her head and huffed. No, I won't. He smells funny. He smells like blood.

Mell squinted her eyes, full of confusion. She looked back at Ryn. Mell didn't see any blood on him, so she turned back to the wolfa and said, I don't think he's bleeding.

Maybe it's not him then, Cossandra growled. It might not be blood at all.

Suddenly, the wolfa fell to her knees. Mell ran to Cossandra's side and Mell was happy that the wolfa had let her. Mell dug her hands in Cossandra's fur. At first, it was rough like sandpaper, but the deeper into her fur she went that softer Cossandra's fur became.

Cossandra looked up at Mell, her voice sounding like a whisper, I think something is wrong.

Does it hurt? Mell was able to ask the wolfa before she squeezed her eyes shut from pain.

The wolfa's head bobbed up and down.
To get Cossandra to open her eyes again, Mell nudged the wolfa's face with her thumb. Slowly, but surely, Cossandra opened her eyes and Mell said, Where. Where does it hurt Cossie?

My stomach, the wolfa said gently, but with pain etched into her voice.

As Mell moved her hand down to Cossandra's stomach, she could hear Ryn ask from behind her, "What's going on?"

Mell could hear the confusion and fear in his voice. With all the stories he heard about the wolfa's ruthlessness, Mell knew that it would take a long time for him to trust Cossie and an even longer time for him to be able to communicate with Cossie no matter what she told him.

Mell remembered when she met her first wolfa pup. Kal was its name if Mell could remember correctly. He was bred to be gentle, homegrown, and somewhat of a dog. Kal had become Mell's pet and had gone everywhere with Mell until he tragically died in an accident that she didn't like to recall. Let's just say that someone got punished.

Anyway, during Mell's time spent with Kal, she had learned how to communicate with wolfa's. She had only figured it out when she was staring intently into Kal's emerald green eyes. The pup's voice had slithered into her mind as she responded dumbfounded at what was happening. She remembered Kal not seeming very surprised by his tone of voice and how serious the reflection of his eyes was.

"What's going on?" Ryn asked again as if he was begging.

"I don't know," Mell said calmly.

Mell's hand slid under Cossie's side and on to the wolfa's stomach. Cossie's stomach was wet with sweat, though she couldn't feel anything or see anything since her stomach was hidden from Mell's view. When Mell pulled her hand away, it wasn't sweat she had put her hand into. It was blood.