Five · · · Monta (.2)

Meela's desperate scream echoed in Monta's head. He knew it wasn't really there, but it felt real in the dark, damp tunnel. He could picture her draught face stricken with fear and sadness. Meela lost her husband and she had to stay behind to protect her daughter. A sense of realization and bravery crossed over Monta's face. It was up to Monta to protect Tapalla. She had to trust him and he had to trust her. That meant all of her secrets.

"Tapa," he said questioningly, not knowing what emotional state she was in. She had lost all the things Meela had. Her home. Her father. Her mother.

"Yes?" Tapalla replied. Her voice was filled with sorrow. If Monta could see her face, he knew it would be shaded blue for all the sadness she was feeling.

"When you're ready," he started to say, "I need to know all your secrets about your past life. I want to know you better and I want to trust you. I mean, I do trust you, but sometimes I feel like I shouldn't. What I'm saying is, I want to trust you more than I already am."

Monta could feel her hand crawl under his arm and around his back. She flinched when her hand hit the rifle, but she smoothed her hand out and snuck it underneath the gun. Her hand landed on the other side of his shirt and gripped his shirt.

"Do I have to now?" Tapalla asked.

When Monta looked down at her, all he saw of her in the dark was her outline but felt as if he could feel her milky way covered eyes staring into his.

"Not now, but later when have time to talk without feeling like we are being pursued."

A little chuckle erupted from Tapalla's mouth.

"What was that for?" Monta asked full of confusion. He put in arm around her shoulders and felt her other hand reach up to touch his. She must have put the pistol in the waistband of her skirt. Hopefully, she had the safety on.

"You can make the most dismal of moments joyful for reasons I have yet to explain. Even when you're trying not to be funny, which is usually most of the time, it ends up being funny. How is that?" she answered.

Monta shrugged his shoulders even though Tapalla couldn't see him. "I don't know. I guess I've really realized."

"Really?" Tapalla scoffed. "That's why I started calling you charmer, Charmer. You made me swoon every time your eyebrow shot up with confusion or if you were surprised."

Monta sighed and looked towards the ceiling, the darkness was so dense he couldn't see it. Through the flashlight's rays, Monta could see about ten to twelve ips away. The tunnel's ground was dark dirt and looked damp with water. The father they got down the tunnel, Monta could hear a drop of water falling into a puddle making the tunnel echo. Monta couldn't see the landmark with his flashlight.

"Did you bring your mini C.S. with you?" Monta asked Tapalla. Monta wished he would have grabbed his. It a was just how it sounded. A small, portable, mini C.S. about the size of your hand, but you could do more than just watch the news. The device was able to call and text people and look up information that you needed.

"I don't think so," Tapalla answered. "My mom made sure we brought essentials. When I checked my bag last night I didn't see my mini C.S. Plus, I didn't bring my bag. I was too wrapped up at the moment."

"That's okay," Monta replied. "I was just hoping one of us had one so we could call a strike force or maybe my parents."

"That was a good idea, but for now I think we should focus on getting out of this tunnel. Do you know what time it is?"

Monta thought about it for a moment. "Well the Night Warriors came in the morning, so I guess it's about almost lunch time."

"That reminds me," Tapalla moaned, taking her hand off of Monta's and placing it on her stomach. "I haven't had anything to eat since last night."