Twenty · · · Ophryn (.3)

A grunt came from Mell as she said the word three when Kast's body slammed against hers. Ryn watched them collided and fall making the whole submarine shake. As quickly as he could, Ryn climbed down the ladder and found Ossian licking Kast's wound through Mell's fingers. When she had caught him, Mell's had put her arms under his armpits sticking them towards his head so if he did hit his head, her fingers would have been crushed but his head protected. It was a good thing that his head didn't smash against the floor, but Ryn could tell that by the look on her face, Mell had hit her own head on the floor.

More tears sprouted her eyes, her whole body shaking as she hugged Kast. Mell pressed her forehead to his breastplate and squeezed him with all the strength she had. Ryn could tell that she didn't want to move. That she if could, she would lay there the whole day and would snap if bothered. Instead, Mell craned her neck to kiss Kast's nose. Then she undid her grasp and pulled away from him. When she stood, her hand went straight for her head as her whole body hilted about to fall again.

Ryn caught her and when Mell looked up into his eyes she laughed and said, "You're not Kast."

He laughed back at her. "You're right. I'm not. I think you hit your head just a bit too hard."

Putting his arms under her knees and back, Ryn lifted Mell into the air and carried her to the other side of the submarine. There, he found a lounging area that was made for the royal family of Pent and laid her down one of the softest couches. Mell had fallen asleep in Ryn's arms, so when he laid her down he didn't have to worry about her trying to get up again and searched the room for materials to take care of Kast.

In the back of lounge room, there was another door that led into a kitchen of some sort. Ryn rummaged through the cupboards and only found old, moldy food until he opened a cupboard that stood alone. In there, he found gauze and little of bags of tanala herb. He took both and a small bowl to crush the tips of the tanala herb's leaves in. He ran back to Kast at the main deck.

Ryn bent over Kast's limp body as he started to crush the leaves until the turned in a purple paste. Moving his head from side to side as his eyes fluttered open every once and awhile, Kast would mumble words as if talking to someone.

"It's okay, Kast," Ryn said as he stuck his finger into the purple paste, smearing it over Kast's bleeding wound. The iron tasting blood made the paste turn a bright magenta color. Then Ryn grabbed the gauze and wrapped hit around Kast's head in a way so it wouldn't fall off. Sitting back against the ladder, breathing hard and shaky from fear, Ryn examined his work. He learned very little about healing during his training but he did the best he could. Ryn waited at Kast's side until the brute woke up so he could actually drive the submarine without worrying that Kast was going to die.

Ryn sat there for about thirty minutes before he got bored staring at Kast as he mumbled words that Ryn couldn't understand, so he went to go check on Mell. When he walked into the lounge, her sleeping form was no longer on the couch and an open door towards the back of sub caught his attention. Ryn walked to the door and noticed that it was one of the many small rooms aboard the enormous submarine.

Slowly walking into the room, determined not to make a noise, Ryn noted the messy bed of silk sheets and the open journal on a dresser in the corner of the room. He walked over to dresser taking the notebook in his hands. Ryn almost had a heart attack when he saw the handwriting. It was Fanny's and this was her room.

Ryn took a few staggering steps backward. He desperately wanted to leave, but when he spotted his name in the quickly written words of the journal his feet could no longer move. Ryn felt as if he was stuck to the floor with sap and his eyes glued to the pages of Fanny's journal.