Three · · · Tapalla (.2)

All by herself, Tapalla trudged through the kakama woods. She remembered when she was about eleven births, walking through the kakama wood thinking that all the trees were dead. That's when Monta told her their nickname: the Deadwood.

Tapalla reached the cliffside. She wasn't afraid of it anymore. She had been to Gayoa Mountain and Ice Pillar Falls many times since Monta brought her here about a month ago. When Tapalla stepped foot onto the rock, she felt as if she owned it. Like she could go anywhere and do anything and wouldn't matter what she did since it was her property. Tapalla traveled across the cliff edge with a confident step. She knew almost every trail, every rock, every tree.

Tapalla didn't really own Gayoa Mountain and Ice Pillar Falls. The government of Gazar and the leader of the high authority, Dirken Payfil, who was also on the Council of Mistar, owned the land. Tapalla was envious of them. She knew every little nook and cranny and was the only person who went up into the mountains except for Monta. She had never seen any Gazar soldiers, officials, or citizens up in these beautiful mountains.

In the distance, Tapalla could see the twisted tree. This was Tapalla and Monta's halfway point to the falls. She touched the bark as she passed, a tradition that Monta and herself had created. Tapalla walked through the dark kakama leaves that were spread out on the forest floor. They made a crunch under her ice boots as she walked and when she saw the small entrance to the tunnel she raced for it.

Tapalla hugged the wall so her feet wouldn't slip on the wet, rocky floor. When she entered, she found herself staring in awe at the Ice Pillar Falls. To Tapalla, the falls were way more magnificent from behind than in front. She also found Monta's long form. He was eating a sun berry from a hidden bag that must have been behind him.

Tapalla knocked on the wall of the cave and Monta looked up searching for the source of the noise. She watched him smile at her. Monta knocked on the wet ground and the sound echoed. It sounded like a wonderful song to Tapalla.

"Loye, stranger," Monta said, waving her over.

"Hello, Charmer. "How's life today?" Tapalla followed the cave's wall and made her way so she could sit next to Monta.

"Same as ever," he replied as Tapalla sat down and rubbed her knees.

At least the back of the cave wasn't wet enough to get her pants dirty.

"That's good."

They sat in awkward silence for a while, until Tapalla said, "I liked your note." She pulled the piece of paper out of her pocket and handed it to Monta. "It was sweet. Just like you, Charmer."

Tapalla bumped him in the soldier as he slowly opened it. The smile on Monta's face was now gone.

He sighed and gave it back to Tapalla. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said some of the things in it that note. It was stupid to write that let-"

Monta stopped talking when Tapalla kissed his cheek.

His jaw dropped.

"Why... why did you do that?"

"Because," Tapalla started to say, "your my friend and I appreciate you. In your note, you also said that you love me like a friend. So, I love you like a friend. Plus, my mala said you gave me a kiss." Tapalla took Monta's hand, which was dyed dark purple from the sun berries, and put it to her forehead. "Right. Here."

Tapalla could hear Monta give a shaky breath. She watched his eyes move from her forehead to her own eyes. Finally, his eyes locked on to hers. His eyes looked vast and endless. Monta's eyes were so transparent that Tapalla thought she could see the muscles in his head working to make him see correctly. There was a tint of blue around his pupil and the iris of his eyes and it made Tapalla think of ice crystals.