Fourteen · · · Mell (.2)

"Here you go," Kast said pointing to the row of cells before he crossed his arms and leaned on the wall to watch her look.

Jorda lingered on the steps as if nervous to get off of them.

Mell turned to the cells after stared at Kast's and for a few seconds. She glad when he didn't seem to notice. Right away, Mell recognized almost everyone in the cells. Tabi and Gwen, her mother's servants, Mend and Burr, her father's servants and other kitchen servants and maids. Mell almost felt sick to her stomach when she couldn't remember everyone's names. For most of her life, she dedicated herself to learning all the names of the servants in her castle. Mell could only imagine how she would feel if someone she knew for a long time forgot her name.

When the prisoners in the cells looked up, they squinted there eyes as if they knew who Mell was, but they did. They just didn't know it yet. When a few of their eyes cleared, Mell knew that they finally recognized her. She happy when the didn't call out her name to give her away. A few were about to, but then stopped themselves and kept their mouths shut.

"Why are they here?" Mell said angrily spinning on her heels at Kast. "What did they do?"

Kast pushed himself off the wall and said softly, "I thought you weren't going to make a fuss?"

Mell stuck her bottom lip out. "I never said that."

Kast hit his forehead, angry at himself. "How could I think that were possible," he mumbled to himself. Wiggling his nose in frustration, he cleared his throat and said, "Fine. We were at the capture, or killing, of the king and queen. These were their servants so we took them as prisoners of war. Happy now?"

No, Mell thought.

She was not happy. She wanted them free. All free. Every last one of them. No wonder Kast said that I should leave. The Harbor of Thonits was no longer a safe haven for both Pents and Castans. It was becoming a war zone.

Instead of answering him, Mell turned around and searched for Day. Clinging to the bars at the end of the line of cells, Mell found Day. The girl seemed smaller than usual and her form seemed to be weakening. Mell guessed that Day hadn't eaten anything in a while. The glow from Day's face was also gone, making her almost look faded.

"Jan," Mell whispered so Kast or Jorda couldn't hear, hoping that Day would understand.

"Jan," Day said aloud making Mell smile. "Thank goodness you've come! I've missed you." Mell was surprised by Day's acting skills.

"Me too, Redd," Mell said making up a name for Day as fled to the bars. She then turned to Kast. "This her, Kast. Please let her go."

With his usual smirk, Kast got up from his spot and walked over to Mell reluctantly. She could he hated to break the rules. He glanced back at Jorda, but he gave no expression and stomped back up the stairs.

"Is he okay with this?" Mell asked Kast as he pulled a ring of keys out of a hidden pocket of his.

"Jorda," he asked unlocking the cell. "Ya, he okay with this. He won't tell anyone. If we do get caught, the worst thing that would happen to us is guard duty for a week. Rain or shine."

"Oh," Mell said pouting. "That's not so bad."

"Yup," Kast answered pulling Day out of the cell.

The others looked with longing at Mell for her to rescue them. When Kast's back was turned to lock the cell, Mell mouthed to them, I'll come for you later. I promise.

Anger at her leaving them still lingered on their faces, but they seemed to understand. With day following her, Mell walked behind Kast as they went up the steps. Mell and Day quickly sped up in front of Kast, but he grabbed Mell's arm keeping her in the room with him. She couldn't tell was his expression was when he looked at her.