Please Don't Stare

Christian's POV

    Burnt into my eyes was the image of Ana bruised and battered at my hand. How she could have ever believed I wasn't a monster I couldn't understand. I stalked to the bar for a drink and found a cognac I knew I could drink enough of to forget. I hadn't been drunk in years but I also hadn't experienced anything I so desperately wanted to forget. I took a few solid swigs before the familiar rush of blood warmed my chest. I closed my eyes again, testing my vision and still Ana's beaten body remained.

    I snapped alert and chugged a bit more. I still saw Ana under the desk lamp looking torn and terrified.

    More.

    Bruised Anastasia remained.

    More!

    Ana crying. Ana's cry of pain with my nails dug into her arm.

    MORE!

    Em shook her head in disapproval as Ana laid broken in a heap on the playroom floor.

    You gotta have more self control, Mr Grey. She's not like us.

    "Enough!" I slammed the bottle back into the liquor cabinet and reached for my blackberry. It was an emergency and I paid this man enough to pick up even on the weekends.

    "Christian," Dr Flynn answered. The background was noisy almost as if he was in a restaurant or a bar.

    I breathed heavily into the phone unsure what to say.

    Concern filled his voice. "What happened, Christian?"

    "I... I hurt Ana." My words came out as a sputter.

    The other line was quiet and I heard a door close. This conversation required privacy and distance from whoever he was with. "If this is an emergency you need to call an ambulance, not me." I stiffened "Is this an emergency?"

    I was lucky that the night before had not turned into an emergency. I could have deprived her of oxygen for too long or burnt her too badly. The restraints could have cut through her skin on her ankles or wrists hitting major arteries. I could have hurt our blip. But I hadn't. I took it too far but not over the ledge.

    "Christian?" Flynn questioned

    My skin felt hot and dry "No, it's not an emergency."

    "Okay," He breathed out a sigh of relief "Where is she now? Does she need medical attention?"

    Did she? I wondered. Is she in pain? She hadn't said anything to that respect except when I had grabbed her arm. It had been bad enough for her to safe word me. I was immediately thankful for my wife's memory and bravery. Anastasia used the safe word this time. It was part of the language I responded to.

    Dr Flynn cleared his throat. "Mr Grey, are you there?"

    "Yes!" I snapped, startled by the interruption of my thoughts.

    "Ana does need medical attention?" Flynn clarified.

More like police protection...

    Does Ana need a doctor? Yes. No. Maybe. "I'm not sure. She is at brunch right now with her friends Kate and Jose." Jose... I still hated him.

I bet he'd be better for her than you've ever been. You need someone you can destroy that will be grateful for the honor.

    "You've been drinking." He muttered. "You're drunk at two in the afternoon."