Chapter 7: Competing Enemies

Meanwhile, Sunset and Starlight went up to their mountain cabin. They bought it so when they went to these 'hunting' trips, they could restock their blood supply. Sunset enjoyed the fresh, crisp mountain air. She also enjoyed the view that came with it.

"Sunset, let's go before more hunters come," shouted Starlight, interrupting Sunset's thoughts.

Sunset jumped down from the tree she was in. She ran inside, grabbing the bloodletting tools along with a funnel and several milk jugs.

She saw Starlight running ahead of her into the darker part of the forest. They figured out pretty quickly that most human hunters avoided this part because it was too dark. They had managed to make some good kills in this part of the forest. Though, they had been spotted several times.

Sunset quickly spotted a few a rabbits. Using her super speed she grabbed them and broke their necks. She handed them to Starlight, who was setting up the bloodletting equipment.

"Good job, Sunset. Now, we need 30 more rabbits for your lunch for the next month," said Starlight. Sunset nodded, dropping off her ten rabbits before speeding off. She did three more runs and managed to get the last thirty rabbits.

Sunset rested after her last run. She was glad that she had her super speed, but she still got exhausted after a while. She sat on a rock near Starlight.

"So the rabbits any good?" asked Sunset.

Starlight nodded, saying, "They are the best ones we've gotten so far. You did a good job picking them. When you get done resting, be a dear and fetch us some deer. I think we'll need at least 20 deer to last us at least three months."

Sunset looked at Starlight and smiled. "Will do. After this, will we be done for the day?" asked Sunset. She was anxious to do something today. She had planned to see if she could find a beautiful purple sapphire. She wanted to make Twilight a necklace that would protect her.

Starlight heard the urgency in Sunset's voice. "What's the rush?" asked Starlight.

Sunset sighed. "I have a plan to do something later," replied Sunset.

Starlight giggled quietly to herself. She figured that Sunset was planning on making Twilight a present. She looked up from the rabbit she was working on. "Okay, but come back before dark. I don't want us exposed to the nearby humans," replied Starlight. With those words, Sunset raced off.

It took ten trips of carrying two deer each to get the full 20 deer Starlight needed. But once she was done. She cleaned up and began her search for a purple amethyst.

She looked for hours in a nearby abandoned rock quarry. As she was about to look elsewhere, a glittering object caught her eye. She investigated it.

As she pulled the object up, she noticed that seemed to be a dark purple, almost violet. She realized that she found a rare colored sapphire.

She immediately rushed back to the cabin, the stone in her hand. She ran inside and washed the stone in the kitchen sink.

Once she saw it washed up, she knew that it was the perfect stone for Twilight. She placed it in her room. She ran back downstairs to see Starlight holding a bag of squirrel blood; Sunset's favorite.

"What occasion calls for squirrel blood, Starlight?" asked Sunset. She sat down, opening the squirrel blood. She drank it as Starlight spoke.

"The occasion is Twilight. I want you and her to be friends, if not more. I was wrong to overreact yesterday." said Starlight. Sunset beamed as she heard Starlight say that. She was thankful that Starlight wanted her and Twilight to be together.