Chapter 18: New Developments

Diamond Tiara was awake all night, thinking. She couldn't easily forget what Sunset mentioned. She looked at her clock and saw the time was 3:35 am. She had school in the next few hours. She didn't want to go, especially when so many questions remained unanswered in her head.

Suddenly a knock on her door startled her. She pulled the blanket off of her. She walked over to her door, wondering who could possibly be knocking on her door. She opened her door to see her mother. She sighed.

"What is it now, mother?" asked Diamond Tiara.

Mrs. Rich looked around, seeing if her husband was around. Not seeing or hearing him, she walked into her daughter's room. She closed the door behind her. Once she was sure no one other than her and Diamond Tiara were home, she pulled out an old leather journal.

Diamond Tiara saw the journal. She also could smell that the journal was at least eighty some years old. She looked at her mother, furrowing her eyebrows in confusion. She wondered what the journal was about and whose it was.

"This was your father's first journal. He showed it to me when he revealed himself to me. It contains the first few years of his life after he was turned." whispered Mrs. Rich, not letting her guard down.

Diamond Tiara was confused by her mother's words. She didn't understand what her mother meant by 'revealed himself'. Finally, her curiosity got the better of her.

"Mother, what exactly are you implying? That daddy some super vampire or something?" asked Diamond Tiara.

Mrs. Rich nodded. She placed the journal in Diamond Tiara's lap. She looked around as if her husband might jump out any second. After she looked around, she stared directly into Diamond Tiara's eyes.

"I give you this journal so that you may find out what has been happening to you. And that girl he had you visit, she is to be trusted. Listen to her. I have been under your father's control for far too long. I will be leaving soon, get with that girl and her elder and stay with them, no matter what." replied Mrs. Rich.

Diamond Tiara struggled to adjust to what her mother just said. She couldn't believe that her father of all people was a vampire. She fell back on her bed, sitting with the journal in her hand.

"L-leaving?! What exactly should I do to get away from daddy? How is he not going to notice me disappearing?" asked Diamond Tiara.

Mrs. Rich grabbed her daughter's hand. She held it tightly as she spoke.

"Trust the girl that you visited yesterday. She and her friend will protect you and keep him from corrupting you," replied Mrs. Rich.

Diamond Tiara looked at her mother. She nodded. Then just like that her mother up and left. She knew this was probably the last time she would ever see her mother. She looked at the journal in her hand.

She put the journal away. She placed in a secret cubby that her mother helped her make. She hoped that her father wouldn't discover the journal in her possession. She laid back down, her mind racing over the events that just played out. She hoped that school was a good distraction.

Back at Starlight's house, Twilight was lying awake in Sunset's bed. Her mind flashed with images of Sunset's eyes stricken with panic. She couldn't shake the fear that something might happen to Sunset.

She wiped a tear that fell down her cheek. She didn't want to cry because she knew that she wouldn't be able to stop. She hated how she could've thought that Sunset was bad. She sat up, thinking she saw Sunset out of the corner of her eye. She looked to see that it was a simple hallucination.

She jumped when she heard a loud knock on the door. She opened it to see Starlight standing there. She looked down, hiding her puffy eyes.

"Hey, Twilight. I heard you moving around. I wanted to see if you were okay." said Starlight.