Chapter 42

Catya POV:

—————————————————————————

"Bye, bye!" I happily waved goodbye to Aname, Mayu, Yukine and Watari.

They were headed back home while we went on one more mission before heading home for the winter.

Renkotsu thinks it'll start snowing before we get back. I'm excited about the snow. I've only seen it once in my life and for only a few seconds so I hardly remembered what it looked like. White I think. Everything on the other side of the window was white and cold.

"So what's our next mission, big brother?" Renkotsu asked.

"Heh?" Bankotsu looks at Renkotsu for a second to think over our next move.

"Well, another lord was wanting us to hire us as bodyguards for some party he's having. Been getting threats of an attack recently so yeah." He says nonchalant.

After walking for sometime we found a small cave to stay in for the night.
I had been craving something sweet with my meat so I dig into the bag that had food and pulled out some jam.
I spread the berry jam over the pieces of meat that were on my stick and began eating.

"What the hell are you eating?" Jakotsu asked while staring at me like I had grown another head.

"Food, I think. And berry jam!"

"You're a little freak."

I giggled.
Because I was.

Looking out the cave I could see the landscape. It was beautiful. The cave sat near a cliff and overlooked a small village and a field of flowers and grass.

"Bankotsu! You're hogging all the sake!" Jakotsu cried as he tried to reach for the jug filled with the drink. Bankotsu held him at bay with his foot pressed to Jakotsu's chest, keeping him from snatching the jug.

"Gotta snatch it from me first!" He laughed.

I don't know what caused me to do it but while Bankotsu was distracted with goofing around with Jakotsu I slipped my hand under his grip and successfully took the jug from him without him realizing it.

Until I started to drink from the jug.

Jakotsu stopped all movements and stared at me. Bankotsu was laughing until he followed Jakotsu's eyes and saw me..with the jug.

"Huh? Oh! Here you go!" I held it high in front of me, offering the jug back to Bankotsu.

He snatched it back before handing it to Jakotsu.

"Sneaky one aren't you?" He said.

"Maybe." I giggled.

I finished the rest of my berry jam covered meat and rested my head again Ginkotsu's arm.
My eyelids felt heavy and my body weak.
I yawned and stretched out my arms and drifted off into slumber.

———————————————————————————

Bankotsu POV:

I woke with a jolt.
Cement walls surrounded me.

It was so cold and wet.

"Hello?!" I call out. Where the fuck was I?

I stand up and look around. The room was small with semi high ceilings and a single barred window. The door blended perfectly into the molding wall.

The window was dark but a single white flower shun brightly. Like a small light surrounded by darkness.

Catya..