28 / closer

"A night to remember, huh? Get this sh!t out of here," Quinn grumbled as she tossed the flyer aside and stared at me with a bored look. "I'm not really into this prom shenanigan but you clearly know that my girlfriend would be ecstatic to be asked to prom. And all I want for her is to be happy. However, our lives now are like a freaking action movie and I have to babysit you and ignore my girlfriend for our safety. Care to tell me why we should go to prom?"

"I think you're safe to go. Not me though," I said with a sigh. "And who I would be asking to prom anyway?"

My sister stared at me with sympathy before she shifted her eyes to the soccer field. It was a cold afternoon and my teammates were already stretching their bodies to get ready for the drill. I was sitting at the bleacher with my sister, killing time after a strenuous day.

"Good luck tomorrow. Kick some butt!"

I smirked bitterly. "I'm not even thinking about playing anymore."

"Why?!" Quinn looked at me flabbergasted. "This is the last game of your high school life and you're going to ditch your team?!"

My face knotted the same expression. "Are you really asking me that question after what we've been through this whole week?!"

"Are you gonna let them affect your life like this? The whole team expects so much from you because you're clearly the ace in the field. Receiving a dead rat at our front door is nothing but a coward would do. Tossing a fake grenade inside your car is so fucking pus$y of them."

"And what about when Hilary nearly got crushed by a car at our own school parking lot?"

"It was just an accident," she said causing me to glare at my sister so hard. "Orrrr not."

I sighed. "I felt my soul detached from my body back then. You don't have any idea."

"But don't let them win!" Quinn uttered firmly, her eyes were fixed to mine. "C'mon, Loe. Where is my sister who don't give a sh!t about anything? The brave one. The one who conquered the fear of her own shadow. The one I made. I'm sorry, but I have to say that I'm a bit grateful at myself for being mean to you when we were still kids. You were really weak and so..."

"...fragile that you wanted to just beat me," I ended.

Quinn nodded. "But then I triggered something more from you unintentionally. Like you've changed completely into another person. Not that I don't' like Fat Khloe. It's just I was still a kid and I didn't clearly have the maturity to be a great sister for you. I'm guilty of that. But I'm glad that I drew out your potential that was hiding inside you. And seeing a little bit of Fat Khloe right now and yeah, you're cute and all but it is not really useful. You can be my Fat Khloe all you want with me for old time's sake but we are in a devastating moment here."

I frowned. "But..."

"No buts!" Quinn cut me off as she pulled my hoodie. "Get your butt in that field."

I let out a huge sigh because she was right. I wouldn't let them win. I wouldn't let Jett destroy my life. I owe him nothing. So with determination, I stood up and smiled down at my sister appreciatively.

Then I juggled down the bleachers more than thankful that I wasn't alone. I had my sister with me and together, we were going to finish what that bastard started.

Jett made a mistake. The NAME made a mistake for creating a war with us.

******

After practice, I went straight to the shower room to freshen up, glad that kicking balls helped me express my anger about the situation. And it took away my worries for the meantime.