half / closer

-end-

The harmonious chirps of the birds lurched me out of my daydream, illuminating the polar night before my eyes. The painting had an emotional value in my heart. It was a hidden gem hanging inside a wooden treehouse, an art which was denied from the world. For me, this was more authentic than any art I have ever seen. Because it seen memories and growth. It was seeing the fruition of my existence through the age of time. Its original painter was no longer in this world, and yet every time I stare at it, it would always make me feel alive. Now it was watching me about to step closer to another chapter of my life.

"You need me?" the familiar voice asked, causing my eyes to avert from the magnificent painting.

Mad stood a few feet away from me. And I looked at her dashing presence. She was wearing a long burgundy velvet dress enlightening her feminine persona. Her medium short curls were braided in style. However, I could still feel her menacing presence as she sat on the couch, next to me.

"Here. I'm sorry that I broke it," I mumbled, handing out the scorched digital watch to her.

Mad took it from me, caressing it gently. "No worries. It's a gift anyway and this is just a prototype. The original is with me," she said, showing off a worn-out vintage watch around her wrist. "It's not working anymore though. But it saved me once."

"And you saved us once again, Mad," I said, giving her a grateful smile. "If you didn't give me that digital watch and didn't put a tracking device in it, I wouldn't be able to be here at this very moment."

Mad chuckled a bit. "Don't be sentimental. You're still paying for the damage on my car."

I winced as I still remembered how she crashed her car against the metal door of the burning warehouse. It was just fortunate that Hilary and I were on the side, hoping for a miracle. And it did come— Mad came for us. Not only she gave me a gadget which I used to free myself but she also guarded us from afar. She heeded my intuition and was there in the background in silence without us knowing. She's so badass!

I just shook my head, smiling. Then I frowned as my eyes shifted on her watch again. "Hey, is that the Earl insignia?" I asked as I pointed at the symbol on the center of the watch. It was a scepter inside a golden circle. "You bought it from the Earl?"

Mad frowned and seemed taken aback. "No, someone gave it to me a long time ago. Wait, you know this insignia?"

I nodded. "Of course, it's one of the insignia imprinted on the AID emblem, the exclusive sorority for the House of Maidens."

She drew a sharp breath. "Sorority? How could I miss something like this? I take it back, you don't need to pay for the damage to my car."

I hung my mouth open in surprise. "W-What?"

"You've already paid in full. You don't know how much info you'd given me," she said, standing up before tapping my shoulder.

I was about to speak but Quinn suddenly entered the room, wearing the same dress. She nodded at Mad as an acknowledgment before turning her attention to me. "It's time, Loe."

Quinn's word overwhelmed me. My heart began to convulse but I gathered my strength as I stood up. Then I walked in front of the mirror, seeing myself in a black women's tux suit with a white poplin shirt underneath. My brunette hair was down, curled at the ends while my face was contoured in classiness.

I drew a big gulp of air before releasing it. When I turned around, Quinn placed a white tulip boutonniere on my chest with a small smile on her face. She looked at me with a warm gaze, caressing my heart deeply. But this wasn't the time to ugly cry because my new life was already waiting for me outside.