40 / closer

A soft caress stirred me awake from unconsciousness. Gently, I opened my eyes to see my gorgeous masterpiece who was holding my hand tightly on her cheek. Her eyes were already submitting to sleep but she was trying to fight it. I was about to reach out for her but a sudden pain at the back of my head halted me.

"My waltz," I groaned out, breaking her subliminal state to abrupt panic. Hilary blinked as if she was just dreaming. I squeezed her hand tightly to emphasize my presence while I lifted my other hand to touch my head. However, Hilary was quick to stop me, pushing my arm back down.

"No, Klo. They just put a bandage on your wound," she said, her tone was full of concern.

That was my cue to scan the surroundings and I could tell that I was in a hospital room. My memories charged back in my head and it instantly produced a fear within my system. Pushing myself to sit up, my girlfriend carefully guided me as she stood up from her seat.

"W-What happened?"

Hilary sat on the edge of the bed, intertwining our hands. I had no idea if that was to calm me for a possible disaster or she was just being sweet. "After the incident in the bar, we took you straight to the hospital."

I frowned and looked at her, checking if she was bleeding or bruising somewhere. She seemed fine though, except for her tired eyes. "Are you alright?" I asked for reassurance.

Hilary smiled bitterly at my question. "No, I'd thought I lost you back there when I saw one of your bodyguards carrying you out of the restroom, unconscious and bleeding."

I bit my lip in guilt. "I'm sorry, my love."

She let out an exasperated sigh. "It's fine. As long as you're okay now. And it's not your fault, alright?"

"What about Quinn and Arisa?"

Hilary scoffed. "You should ask about yourself. You're the one who bled."

I sighed. "I know, but—"

Shaking her head, she raised our hands on her lips and kissed my knuckle tenderly. "I know, sorry. I know how selfless you are. And to answer your question, they're alright. They just went to the police station to confirm his identity along with Mad."

Her statement severely caught my attention as my jaw dropped. Hilary giggled, amused at my reaction. She nodded her head twice to answer my unspoken question. However, it seemed so surreal to me.

"W-What?"

Hilary rolled her eyes playfully. "Yes, Klo. They've finally caught him."

My frown deepened while my mouth was still ajar. "Holy— But how?"

"I don't know exactly how. But Arisa called and told me that Mad chased for him and coordinated with your bodyguards to trap him."

"Wow! Really? I have to thank Mad for this!"

Damn, I still couldn't believe that finally, Jet was already caught. The sudden news immediately put rest in my heart after a long struggle. I could breathe easily again as if I'd found an oasis after a long walk through the dunes of the desert. Resting my back on the reclined hospital bed, I closed my eyes and let out a long sigh of relief.

Hilary placed a kiss on my head, earning a soft gaze from me.

"Fück! That's really unbelievable," I said, nearly in a whisper.

Hilary chuckled. "I know, it's unbelievable, indeed."

"Come here," I said, scooting on the side and offered my arms. My girlfriend happily lay down beside me as I pulled her in a tight embrace. My heart was in a cage of unexplainable contentment, knowing I could safely keep her like this after everything— at last.