29 / closer

Slowly, I woke up feeling lightheaded from a saccharine dream— wrinkled bed sheets, entangled legs and arms, and warm bare body on mine until I realized it wasn't just a dream. I shot up from the realization, finding no presence beside me.

I straight away felt disappointed. However, I could still smell her fragrance in my room. Hilary must be somewhere so I rushed out from my bed, gathering my clothes and putting them on.

Last night was so surreal. It was a flash of events that I couldn't believe as much as I wanted to save it in my memory. I couldn't imagine that she came into my room and accepted my situation even though she knew nothing about it. Damn, so unconditional.

I don't deserve her.

As the voice whispered to me, I shook my head before I mentally told myself that there was more to come. More to think about. Quinn let her in which was really dangerous so I better give her some sense. Although so far, it went well for us, there would be always a possibility of Jet finding out about this.

With a heavy sigh, I headed out of my room, instantly hearing my Mom cooking in the kitchen. She was talking to someone and I didn't know if I wanted it to be Hilary or not. So once I saw my half-sister leaning over our kitchen island, I didn't know if I should feel disappointed or relieved.

"Morning, Sis!" Quinn greeted me with an annoying smirk.

I glared hard at her before sitting down across her place. "Where is she?" I whispered, trying to keep our conversation from my Mom. I didn't want her to know that Hilary had been here last night.

"Out... She left half an hour ago," Quinn answered as she leaned closer. "Don't worry, I made sure she got home safely."

"Why would you do—" I tried to question her action last night but was cut off when my Mom placed our breakfast between us.

"So?" my Mom started as she sat beside me. "Today is your final tournament, right?"

"Ah y-yeah... Yeah, today is an important day," I said with a weird laugh.

Mom smiled sadly at me. "I wish I can watch you kick for victory but I have an important dinner meeting after work."

"It's okay, I'll be there to cheer her up," Quinn assured my Mom which I agreed to as I nodded. "By the way, there's a long-rumor in the town that my Dad was a gang leader, is it true?"

I bulged my eyes out from Quinn's question. How could she just blurt it out just like that?! She let Hilary last night and now this?!

My Mom frowned at her question and I awkwardly pulled my plate of egg benedict in front of me. Seriously, I needed a lot of protein because we might go into war after all of Quinn's antics. I needed her to explain what bullshit she had been doing lately.

"Not entirely. I was a member, actually," Mom answered which caused me to cough out the food in surprise. Quinn was also shocked at the revelation as her interest peaked up

"Why so surprised?" Mom smirked at us.

"Tell us about it?" Quinn urged, nonchalantly taking the fork and cutting the poached egg in half, appearing to be not that interested at the topic at hand.

"Well, how should I start?" Mom asked herself before sipping her cup of coffee.

"Start with why Dad founded it?" I urged more to get information on why we were involved with this gang group.

"Your Dad founded it with three of his friends," Mom began as she recalled the past. "They called their group NAME which the abbreviations of their first name: Nathaniel Valentine, Aston Blackburn, Malum Colvin, and Elric Krause. It was not entirely a gang but merely a group of activists aiming for political and social change. Back then, the town was infested of authorities smuggling weapons and drugs in the dark. Gangs appeared everywhere and they were protected by the local government. The neighborhood was getting involved with the war. They made our town a rendezvous point. There were unexplainable deaths and accidents happening everywhere. People knew in their heart who was responsible but they turned a blind eye because of fear, except for your Dad, of course."