Chapter 2

After a long warm shower, I dried my hair quickly with the dryer and made my way back downstairs. Zach was leaning against the counter, with his arms folded across his chest. He handed a large mug of hot chocolate with cream layered on the top and marshmallows sprinkled with chocolate pieces.

"Thanks." I smiled at him as I took it out of his hand.

We sat, in content silence, for a while before my phone chimed on the counter between us. "Hello?" I answered, not bothering to check the caller ID. I currently received calls from every member of my pack so saving numbers would be tedious.

"Hey El. There is someone trespassing on the borders," Tyler, my beta wolf, informed me.

"Ok, thanks Ty. I will be there in a minute. Can you go ahead and check them out?" I asked him, wanting to finish my drink before heading back out in the cold. While I was showering, the rain subsided but a strong crisp wind swirled through the valley, whipping up debris off the floor and catapulting it through the air.

"Yeah, see you in a minute." He ended the call abruptly and I knew it was because he was already half way there. Tyler was an amazing beta and although he was sceptical about how ready I was for the position of Alpha when my father died, he had helped me out loads over the past few weeks.

I let out a frustrated groan and downed the rest of my drink, scolding my tongue in the process. "I have to go," I huffed, tugging my coat off the hook.

"I heard. Stay safe ok sweetheart?" Zach responded in a pleading manner. He pulled me towards him and pressed his lips firmly against my forehead.

I planted a quick kiss on his lips in return before scurrying down the hall. "I will," I called and slipped out the front door.

Outside, the cold wind whipped my hair to and fro, matting the dark waves over my face. I tucked the strands behind my ear and progressed forward, heading in the direction of the border.

Eventually, I came across Tyler and a few of the protection wolves gathering in a circle. Tylers sharp voice could be heard over the howling wind and was directed at the man before him.

His hair was a pale shade of brown, almost copper and was windswept over his head in a messy but neat flick. It looked purposeful yet some of the hairs were flyaway from the wind, adding to a wild look he seemed to pull off with ease. Two thick and heavily hooded eyebrows arched over his piecing blue eyes.

Those cold eyes locked onto me as I approached him and a sense of familiarity went coursing through me. His scent was a concoction of wet dog and burning embers and it created a feeling of warmth within me.

He had a bulky build, with broad, squared shoulders that indicated he was ready to fight. However, upon seeing me, he visibly relaxed which boiled my blood. His muscular arms were currently being contained by two protection wolves, keeping him captive until my arrival.

"Who are you and what are you doing on my territory?" I asked sharply, not in the mood for light chit chat with the trespasser.

He smirk slightly and I couldn't stop the scowl from erupting on my face. "Hey sweetheart, I am here to see the Alpha," he stated casually, relaxing somewhat in the wolves arms.

"I'm the Alpha, what do you want?" I snapped and his expression morphed from cocky to shocked. His eyebrows shot through his forehead, brushing against his hairline, his crystal blue eyes were as wide as saucers and his mouth drooped in the corners.

"You? You're the fearsome Alpha Reed that took over from the ruthless father a few months ago?" He gasped incredulously and I nodded. "But...," he stuttered slightly, "But you're a woman."