Chapter 40

"Calm down," I pleaded, resting my hand on Zach's bicep and taking his jaw in my other hand. My fingers splayed over his stubble and my thumb brushed over his lower lip.

"I'm going to kill him," he grumbled, removing my hand from his face and balling his fists.

"Zach, we don't know if it was even him," I reminded him, coaxing a deep snarl from the back of his throat.

He roughly grabbed my shoulder and shoved me backwards into the wall behind me. "Of course it was him! You should never have let him out," he growled before his eyes widened as he realised just how tightly he was pinning me to the wall. Instantly, he pulled away, guilt and regret washing away his anger momentarily. "I'm sorry."

He shook his head and threw his fist into the wall beside my head before letting out a deep, harsh breath. "El, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that and I shouldn't have grabbed you like that. I'm sorry."

I curled my arms around his neck and kissed away the pained expression that contorted his face. "I know." I kissed him again.

"I'm really sorry." He sighed. "I just..." he took in a shaky breath for locking eyes with me, "I can't lose you."

"You won't," I promised. "Despite what the note said, no werewolf is stupid enough to attack me at school where there are humans everywhere. And you're here. So I'm safe," I assured him.

His forehead pressed against mine and he smiled. "I love you."

I grinned back. "I love you more." He simply shook his head before pulling me against him and holding me there with his strong arms tightly around me.

I felt him bury his face in my hair while I breathed in his scent. Raw masculine strength oozed from the aroma along with a hint of danger. All wolves had a unique scent that spoke a lot about their personalities and Zach's screamed power and danger.

Yet, it seemed to calm my own wolf and provide a feeling of safety. I knew he could never truly hurt me when his primal instincts were to protect me. He would die before I got hurt so I knew in his arms was the safest and happiest place I could be.

"I won't let anyone lay a hand on you," he suddenly promised, stroking his hand over the back of my head.

"I know you won't. But if anyone does I will kick their ass." I grinned and his eyes gleamed with happiness. Love.

"I know you will." Our lips collided a second later, soft and gentle. His mouth was warm as it enclosed over my lips and I sunk into the feeling.

"Gross." A voice huffed from behind me and I laughed into Zach's mouth before pulling away.

"Nice to see you too Liam." I grinned, watching him stroll through the living room and collapse on the sofa. I joined him a second later, throwing myself onto the comfortable seat beside him.

"I swear the two of you make out more than you eat," he stated, shaking his head in disgust.

"We usually combine the two," Zach told him monotonously while I gawked at him.

"Zach!" I scolded while at the same time Liam groaned and gagged.

"I didn't need to know that brother," he growled, shaking away the thoughts.

Zach just shrugged and pulled me closer to him, my back to his front. His arm curled around my waist and his thumb drew circles into my skin.

"What about you?" I asked. "Made out with anyone lately?" I followed my question with a suggestive wink and he frowned.

"You're unbelievable." He frowned, grabbing the TV remote from the coffee table and flicking it on.

"What!" I gasped. "I was just curious." I leant back and feigned watching TV for a few minutes before turning back to him. "So, have you spoken to Lexi recently?"