Chapter 26

I'm not entirely sure how long we all sat, silent from the shock. Zach didn't loosen his grip around my trembling body for even a second and simply whispered gently into my ear about how everything was going to be ok.

I was eternally grateful to have him by my side and had no idea what I had done to get so lucky. He was so completely perfect: constantly there when I needed him; protective but understanding of my need for independence; safe.

Finally, the immediate shock passed and after an extensive silence, Ryder, being him, broke it. "What the hell." He scoffed. "This is so messed up."

"Ryder." Both Tyler and Caroline admonished.

"What?" He defended, holding his hands up in surrender before they glanced to me and he followed their gazes. He stared at me for a while without an ounce of emotion before he rolled his eyes. "This would make such a good movie." He grinned and I couldn't help but laugh.

Despite his lack of class, I loved the way Ryder didn't sit around pitying me. I had enough self pity to revel in without adding in everyone else's. I appreciated their concern but I hated being looked at like some poor, helpless cub.

"He has a point you know. Meryl Streep should one hundred percent star in it." Liam grinned, making me laugh through my sniffles.

"Ooo! And the Hemsworth brothers. God, are they beautiful." Alexia swooned.

"They are!" Caroline agreed and soon the three girls were in a deep conversation about the Hemsworth brothers.

"Guys?" Mason snapped after a while of the guys simply staring at them. One by one, they turned to face him and then seemed to remember the pressing issue.

"Oh, right," Alexia mumbled. "Are you ok El?" She asked gently.

"Yeah." I nodded, leaning in to Zach a little more. "Just really confused."

"I'm sorry," Zach whispered to me, pressing a kiss to the shell of my ear.

"For what?" I asked him, thrown off by his apology.

"Well... for killing the only parent you had left." He sighed and rested his chin on the top of my head.

"The only reason he was the only parent left was because he killed both of mine and the only reason he is dead is because he threatened me. What the hell kind of psycho was he? He killed his ex girlfriend, the father of his child and then went after his child." I shook my head in disgust. "He's sick."

"I know someone who might have some sort of clue as to why he did what he did," Jordan piped up and I stared at her, confused.

"Who?" Zach asked before I could.

She looked to me before shrugging with a slight smile. "Your brother, or half brother anyway," she whispered and until then, I had completely forgotten about him.

"Aiden." I nodded, now realising Jordan was right. He might know something and if not, someone in his pack could. "I need to speak to him," I explained, pulling out of Zach's hold and striding across the lounge.

"Woah, woah, woah. Hang on a second sweetheart." Zach grasped my wrist and pulled me back to him. "I think you should wait, baby. You didn't sleep at all last night and its been an emotional day and I think you should get some sleep tonight and then tomorrow, we will go and speak to Aiden ok? Whatever he knows today, he will still know tomorrow." He kissed my forehead gently while he waited for my reply.

I loved how caring he was. How he knew exactly what I needed before I did and how he could rationalise anything and put it into perspective. He was right, tomorrow I could get my information but tonight I needed some rest... and maybe sex with Zach.