Chapter 34

I couldn't hold back the scoff that breezed out from between my lips. "My help?" I raised an eyebrow incredulously at him.

He simply lowered his head as though he was ashamed but he quickly snapped it back up when a small whimper of pain left the younger boy. Both of the older two started to thrash and snarl in my pack members arms, struggling against their holds while they watched the kid wince.

Now that I was closer, I could see how their grip was leaving marks in his skin and their claws sunk into his flesh. His arms were twisted at a funny angle and he was pinned to the ground in a mangled position.

"Let him go," I ordered.

One of my protection wolves glanced up at me with a concoction of fury and confusion lacing his features. "But Alpha, he tried to run."

I looked at the innocent looking boy who shook a little. "Well, he doesn't have anywhere to go now. He is a cub and you are hurting him. Let him go, now."

Instantly, the boy was let free and I saw him hesitate for a moment, glancing between me and the two captured wolves with a conflicted look. I could see the silent conversation the three were having but couldn't figure out what they were saying.

Suddenly, the boy lurched forwards and into the older boys hold, still shaking a little. The boy pulled his own arms free and circled them around the cub. Just as the protection wolves went to grab him again, I snapped, "leave him."

I watched the two embrace for a moment and then spoke. "Who are you?" I decided to ask.

The guy looked up with a small, polite smile. "My names Oliver, this is my sister, Liv and our brother Luca," he told me, smiling more sincerely to his siblings.

"Are you twins?" I asked, nodding between him and Liv.

He nodded in reply. "And what exactly did you want my help with?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow.

The three were silent for a few moments, glancing between each other again. I recognised what they were doing as something Zach and Liam often did - conversing through expressions.

Finally, Oliver turned back to me with an almost ashamed look on his face. His brown eyes flickered to his little brother for a second. "We came to ask if there was any chance you would take us into your pack?"

His beautiful brown eyes displayed his hopelessness and my heart pained with guilt and sympathy. Rather than looking at his pleading face, I turned to his sister. "Is that how you usually speak to people you want help from?"

She raised her eyes to meet mine head on and although I could easily read her regret and worry, she also displayed determination. "I had no idea you were the Alpha."

I frowned. "That's not what I asked? Is that how you normally speak to people?" I repeated.

Slowly, she sighed. "Yes."

I was taken aback by her honesty but then, somehow I could tell this girl was completely honest and blunt. "Tell me why you don't already have a pack."

Again, shame washed through her murky brown eyes. "I insulted my Alpha and he exiled me. My parents wanted nothing to do with me but my brothers wouldn't let me be alone."

I considered what it must be like to leave everything you know behind for family, or to leave family behind for everything else. "And why did you come here?"

This time, her brother answered. "We travelled across the country trying to find a pack but no Alpha wants someone who is disrespectful. We heard rumours of your kindness and had nothing to lose."