Chapter 43

"What?" Zach spat, pushing me further behind him and Liam so the two were covering me. "What the hell did you just say?"

"I needed to remove anyone from her life that could protect her. If she hated him, she would never go anywhere near him," he explained with a wicked glint in his eye, then turned to me. "Apparently, I underestimated your ability to forgive."

"Hang on a second, anyone who protects me?" My grip tightened on Zach's hand and I instinctively stepped a little closer to him and Liam. His words sent a pit to my stomach, an intense ache that churned at the thought of him 'removing' the people I care about.

Rick grinned at my question. "Anyone, although somehow the two of you managed to escape the cell before I could ensure you were left unprotected," he grumbled. Suddenly, it clicked. How did I not figure out sooner that it was him who locked Liam and I away underground, the guy was clearly a nutcase.

"You wanted my brother dead?" Zach growled, taking a threatening step towards Rick.

He simply shot him a blank look. "What are you talking about, I tried to kill you," he stated nonchalantly and I froze, my heartbeat increasing rapidly.

He wanted Zach dead.

"Why did you lock me underground with Liam then? So you could attack my boyfriend while we weren't around?" I snapped and his forehead creased in confusion.

"Liam? No, no you were locked underground with Zach," he growled. "God, my guys can't do anything right."

"It wasn't supposed to be me?" Liam asked, holding me close to him.

"They told me she was in your arms when they found you knocked out," Rick snarled to himself. I remembered falling into Liam just as my vision clouded until all I could see was an abyss of black.

"How would I have died when it was Ella who you stabbed?" Zach scoffed, shaking his head. Yet another piece of information slipped into place... the note I had found when I had first woken.

"You didn't get the note either?" He groaned, confirming my theory. The note instructed us to kill the other so we would be free. I assume he intended for me to kill Zach for my own survival - which would never happen.

Before anyone could question the note, I asked. "Why do you want me unprotected?" That was the main question playing on my mind. What did he want with me? What was so important he had to go to such extreme measures to ensure I was alone and unprotected.

He shrugged. "I need you to work for me and I can't have anyone standing in the way. It was easy to combine removing your friends from your life while simultaneously making you hate my brother and I knew your boyfriend would give his life to save you, leaving you all alone."

"Work for you?" Liam asked before I could, glancing to me momentarily before turning his focus back to Rick.

"Let me tell you a little bit about your history Ella." He grinned and I folded my arms, nodding for him to continue. "Well... the most important thing you need to know is that you are a descendant of the original werewolf."

"Original werewolf?" Zach frowned.

"The first ever werewolf, bitten by a wolf and turned at the full moon. Once he made his first transformation, anyone he bit would become a werewolf too so he decided to create himself a family."

I narrowed my eyes at him, trying to figure out where he was going with it while he continued. "Eventually, he met a werewolf girlfriend and had kids. And then they had kids and then they had kids and the werewolf community grew and grew into a huge species."